TT: The Orioles are a mediocre team

Tony-OH

I think it is hard to get your mind around the idea that a team with below average starting pitching can be a very good team, especially when the offense is good but not great. And I think it will take all 162 games to see if that model works and convince people.
Considering that such a team just won the world series last year with that model you would think people wouldn't be quite AS surprised.

Short memories. Also, when this thread was started, our rotation was at its nadir, with a 4.99 ERA. KC's rotation last year was at 4.34. The O's are now at 4.71. The league average rotation ERA this year is 4.45, compared to 4.14 last year. I don't think folks have picked up on the fact that the starting pitching has been pretty poor all around the league, so having a rotation that is performing poorly is not as bad a disadvantage as it seems it should be.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe we aleady a swoon of the caliber we can expect to see a couple of times hopefully at most? Lost 7 of the last 9 in May. If that's the swoon, I'll take it

If the Orioles win two more in a row, they will have to forfeit 21 games won in some folks evaluation.

Chris Tillman (2.5 WAR) and Kevin Gausman (1.1 WAR) have a lot to do with the Orioles' score. Tillman is actually 5th in the AL behind Salazar, Sale, Tanaka and Estrada.

In other news, there are a lot of struggling starting pitchers out there.

Wait, what? Tillman is pitching at a borderline cy young level?

2nd in wins, 10th in ERA, 10th in strikeouts.

Fangraphs has him at 1.3 WAR, vs BB-Ref which has him at 2.5.

The 2.5 doesn't pass the sniff test. Though I guess if he ends the season 20-3, he'll get some Cy Young votes.

I guess he's been better than I would have thought. That bump in K-rate is really nice. And his BABIP is in line with his career numbers (albeit really low.) He probably has a little bit of BABIP suppression in him. (or he benefits more than average from the Orioles defense.)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived