TT: The Orioles are a mediocre team

Tony-OH

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if this team wins the World Series trophy, can we then stop calling this team "mediocre?"

No, it will be "The 2016 Baltimore Mediocre Orioles, World Champions."

Or perhaps, "The 2016 Baltimore Orioles, Mediocre World Champions."

ESPN headline will read " 'Baltimore' Wins World Series, how does this Impact Boston's Off-Season?"

In October of 2007 ...... DURING the World Series between the Red Sox and the Rockies ...... Alex Rodriguez and his agent complained that he was "underpaid and under-appreciated" by the Yankees, who were only paying him $25.2 Million per season, and he subsequently threatened to use his opt-out clause.

Shortly after that the Yankees obliged him, and restructured his contract for more money, and to run through the 2017 season.

Rodriguez and His Agent Hijack the World Series

(By Richard Sandomir)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/sports/30iht-BORAS.1.8109463.html?_r=0

So let me get this straight. If you subtract the three longest winning streaks the Orioles have had this season, they wouldn't have as good a record? Is that right? Out of curiosity, has there ever been a team for which that wasn't the case?

o

(JUNE 8th)

Hey, I did it to Ryan Mountcastle earlier in the year so why not to the Orioles? It's a gift! lol

Seriously though, I'm enjoying this run and hope it keeps up, but this year's team and how it's put together suggests a swoon will come again. Let's hope they can limit those down times and stay as consistent as they can.

A swoon will unquestionably come, because there are still more than 100 games that are left to be played.

They question is, will the swoon(s) be so long and hurtful that it will have the Orioles sitting at or only slightly above .500 by mid-September ???

It's exactly 3 weeks later, and the closest that the Orioles have come to a swoon was when they lost 5 out of 7 games between June 10th and June 17th.

Since then, they have won 9 out of their last 11 games.

There are still 85 games left to be played. If the Orioles can limit those swoons to short-term (such as the 2-5 stretch that I just alluded to), and not have more than 2 of those short-term swoons at the most, they should be in good shape come late September.

So let me get this straight. If you subtract the three longest winning streaks the Orioles have had this season, they wouldn't have as good a record? Is that right? Out of curiosity, has there ever been a team for which that wasn't the case?
To be truly good you have to have at least a .500 record minus the streaks.

To be truly good you have to have at least a .500 record minus the streaks.

This makes absolutely no sense. So if they had lost game 4 in each case, they would be better despite have won three less. Sorry, but this just doesn't fly.

I can't fault Tony's logic or his discussion.

Very weird team. Wonder how many other teams had such incredible success with such ruinous starting pitching.

The Red Sox this year. The Blue Jays last year.

You win baseball by outscoring your opponent. That's all that really matters over 162 games.

Having one or two dominant starting pitchers can become crucial in the playoffs.

Archived