Duquette Run Is Over

FSUBobcat7

Think it's safe to say the DD Era has run it's course. This guy gave into pressures of players and management - signed CDwhich is a joke. Then they give up 14 for Gallardo who can't break 85 mph. None of their young pitchers we have seen so far in this Boston series are even half decent. WTH is going on with our Minor League system/Instructors?

I don't care about the O's having best record in American League over last few years. This roster is a joke. Totally feel sorry for Buck. If I were him I wouldn't even come back in 2017.

Blow it up after this year get a new manager and general manager and try and get some draft picks back.

Time to start from scratch.

Good grief. I just didnt realize that baseball season is now over May 31st.

Season sure goes by in a hurry these days.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would explain that it wasn't an organizational failure, if that was true.

Maybe it was part pitching coach and part Jake's fault.

Regardless, he stunk here unfortunately.

Dennis Martinez found his way. Sam McDowell and Steve Howe lost theirs.

No problem with Duquette at all, given the circumstances. He can't compete financially on any level, and has realized the organization is generally unable to develop, well, anybody. So he patches holes with cheapish stopgaps (which will often times fail) and tries to hold on the the big league talent he has (hence the CD overpayment). Any struggles still trace back to Angelos (and will until he sells).

I know most here want to see the organization turn into one that finds and develops talent. But that takes financial investment in scouting, facilities, and coaching--financial investment that creates no short-term return. I don't see that as the sort of investment the snake wants to make.

No problem with Duquette at all, given the circumstances. He can't compete financially on any level, and has realized the organization is generally unable to develop, well, anybody. So he patches holes with cheapish stopgaps (which will often times fail) and tries to hold on the the big league talent he has (hence the CD overpayment). Any struggles still trace back to Angelos (and will until he sells).

I know most here want to see the organization turn into one that finds and develops talent. But that takes financial investment in scouting, facilities, and coaching--financial investment that creates no short-term return. I don't see that as the sort of investment the snake wants to make.

What makes you think Mr. Angelos or his heirs will ever sell?

Well they won't sign an ace type pitcher in free agency. And they certainly haven't been developing pitching. So between now and the end of 2018 they could easily still sit around as a .500 team since they won't go get the guy to put them over the top. If they don't sign Manny, he will walk after 2018, Buck could want to retire by then since his contract is up and we could go right back to the 1998-2011 style of teams. So I can see how some feel there is some cause of concern about the future.

Owner won't allow the GM to spend on TOR. I don't think Peter wants to spend on

top pitchers. He wanted and did spend 161 million on CD.

Disappointed. I was hoping this thread would turn into a few pages of everyone agreeing about how bad Duquette is and repeating how little his success means.

Agree. All the impotent sputtering the thread started off with was much more entertaining than Orioles baseball has been the last couple of days.

Dennis Martinez found his way. Sam McDowell and Steve Howe lost theirs.

There's a reading-between-the-lines implication about Jake in this post that I have never heard a hint of before.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agree. All the impotent sputtering the thread started off with was much more entertaining than Orioles baseball has been the last couple of days.
If Manny's ball hadn't been robbed and CD's shot had been called fair, which it actually was, this thread wouldn't exist.

There's a reading-between-the-lines implication about Jake in this post that I have never heard a hint of before.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Unintentional. He was described by some as a head case.

Archived