Duquette Run Is Over

FSUBobcat7

Kim and Nolan are also doing as well as can be expected.

Yup. Although one would argue...why sign Alvarez when you have so many DH types on the roster?

I really dug the Kim signing early on. Just wish they didn't botch relations prior to OD (and ongoing).

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup. Although one would argue...why sign Alvarez when you have so many DH types on the roster?

I really dug the Kim signing early on. Just wish they didn't botch relations prior to OD (and ongoing).

Pretty sure I did argue that. ;)

I would much rather Trumbo be the DH five times a week.

People look at a lack of building for the future as the "cost" of what we have obtained since 2012, but I don't see it. There's no reason why we shouldn't have been more active on the international market during that time period, and no argument as to why being more active would have hurt our ability to win now. There's no reason why we should have made the trades and signings we did. Maybe Andrew Miller was a future cost for a then present benefit. But the rest were horrible trades and signings that we have had success in the present despite of, not because of. And what's more, you could see they were horrible at the time. You didn't need hindsight to know that Ubaldo and Gallardo were horrible signings. You didn't need hindsight to know that Jim Johnson screamed "Trade Me for Prospects" after the 2012 season. None of these were the "cost" of winning now, they were/are the cost of a guy without much of a plan.

Probably because Strop and Arrieta were both hurting the club at the time.

The bigger concern is why did Arrieta turn into a monster in very short order? We're seeing systematic problems in this organization.

Probably because Strop and Arrieta were both hurting the club at the time.

The bigger concern is why did Arrieta turn into a monster in very short order? We're seeing systematic problems in this organization.

Ask Buck and his pitching coaches and his TTTP vendetta about that. Jake was fine coming up through the system.

One of two good trades he's made in 5 years.

The Jim Johnson trade worked out for us. Joe Saunders and Kelly Johnson were nice little trades. Andrew Miller helped us win the ALDS. Trumbo is looking good. Getting Chris Lee, Gunkel, and Rich Rodriguez were nice little moves too.

In regards to whining about payroll. It's close to $140m. Toronto is at $146m. Tampa at $60m. New York at $227m (at apparently $130m in 2017...), Boston at $198m.

We're a mid market team with a payroll well above league average. It's time to stop pointing the finger at Angelos when it comes to payroll.

Truth be told, you could have resigned Cruz last year and let Davis walk this year. And if we think Angelos was meddling, did Angelos meddle w/ Nick Markakis? He was the Golden Child to Angelos.

Just saying...Duquette isn't some victim of Peter Angelos here. He was blacklisted by baseball, revived by the O's and then tried to take off a couple years into a 6 year extension. At some point you have to give Angelos some credit and call out Duquette.

Don't think I said anythign about payroll. I indicated that Angelos won't spend on organizational infrastructure because it creates no immediate return.

Archived