Who Said PNC Park Is Nicer Than Camden Yards?

MagicBird

Last summer when there was some discussion about improvements to OPACY, I came up with a photoshopped version of what I'd do. By moving the scoreboard / Jumbotron behind the bullpen, it would open the view to the old train station and all of the warehouse and allow even more of the CF roof seats. And for good measure, I added a small auxillary scoreboard in right for the left / center field seats that didn't want to crane their necks. Nothing would be lost except that gorgeous view of the Hilton (sarcasm).

4e6b806255948a1c789bc260f89d12a6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's open to the field from the concourse, right? I really need to get to a game out there. And Cleveland and the HOF.

Yes, its open. That is a nice thing for sure. Ive only been to 2 stadiums with that, Marlins new park in Miami and PNC in Pittsburgh. I really like it, and think it would be neat at OPACY.

It's open to the field from the concourse, right? I really need to get to a game out there. And Cleveland and the HOF.

Cleveland is so-so. All I can really say for it is that it is the first attempt to copy OPCY, and it does ok, but it's not even in the ballpark (pun intended) of OPCY.

PNC is great. Easily the second best MLB venue I have to. It is close to OPCY, but Baltimore wins by a nose. Also, the name. A corporate-named park automatically has one strike against it.

As for the HOF, yes, do it. Cooperstown is beautiful and the Hall is a must-see. Just don't go during induction weekend. It is total chaos. In the spring or fall it is a beautiful drive and visit.

Last summer when there was some discussion about improvements to OPACY, I came up with a photoshopped version of what I'd do. By moving the scoreboard / Jumbotron behind the bullpen, it would open the view to the old train station and all of the warehouse and allow even more of the CF roof seats. And for good measure, I added a small auxillary scoreboard in right for the left / center field seats that didn't want to crane their necks. Nothing would be lost except that gorgeous view of the Hilton (sarcasm).

4e6b806255948a1c789bc260f89d12a6.jpg

Did you send that idea to PA? :D

I like it but not sure I like it enough to do it if it were up to me. Gives the ballpark a much bigger or more open feel.

Did you send that idea to PA? :D

I like it but not sure I like it enough to do it if it were up to me. Gives the ballpark a much bigger or more open feel.

I did put that redesign in a reply to a tweet John Angelos did (I think it was him). Weams encouraged me to do it. It would open it up the view some and it adds the train station to the view while subtracting the Hilton. It's a pity the Bromo Tower became obscured. This would sort of bring something historic back to the sight lines and as well as get even more of the warehouse in the view.

It's in a beautiful location and it is one of the nicer open concourse parks. But not like ours.

My first and lasting impression was that it was a toy model of an old ball park. It seemed like it belonged on the set of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Im pretty sure its been posted here that PNC is a nicer stadium than OPACY.

Well, its not!

Whoever said was just wrong.

I was at the Pirates game yesterday afternoon and while PNC is neat and unique it is not as nice as OPACY.

OPACY is neater, and I would say a cleaner and more upscale design. PNC has an older feel to it, somewhat the feel of a relic. It had to be by design. I get the crudeness of a lot of the design and the steel structure as it fits the city. The bathrooms are small and look older and dirty in presentation. And yea, the view of the city and the old rusty yellow bridge is neat. There is a neat environment inside and outside of the stadium. But it is not a better stadium in any why shape or form IMO.

I was at OPACY this past Thursday & Friday fro games and then in Pitt Yesterday for the Pirates game so the comparison was based on a back to back visits.

You are lucky to be able to see the O's and then the Pirates. I haven't seen either

stadium so I can't say. But since I am an O's fan I will go along with you on that.

I did put that redesign in a reply to a tweet John Angelos did (I think it was him). Weams encouraged me to do it. It would open it up the view some and it adds the train station to the view while subtracting the Hilton. It's a pity the Bromo Tower became obscured. This would sort of bring something historic back to the sight lines and as well as get even more of the warehouse in the view.

I like the idea. My initial thought was that the scoreboard is part of the unique character to the stadium and the feel of it overall and that may be lost. Just a thought to consider tho.

I like the idea. My initial thought was that the scoreboard is part of the unique character to the stadium and the feel of it overall and that may be lost. Just a thought to consider tho.

Maybe it's hard to tell, but it's still there. Just over the bull pens. Same scoreboard, just moved. And doubled (actually looks like tripled) the number of orange umbrella CF seating in its place. The pic I posted was small. Here's the original.

f2e79a69f81794b791eb41e8da4fec60.jpg

You are lucky to be able to see the O's and then the Pirates. I haven't seen either

stadium so I can't say. But since I am an O's fan I will go along with you on that.

I lived in MD for 30 years so Ive been to OPACY plenty, but had only been to Three Rivers Stadium once years ago for a Pirates Braves playoff game. We went to Pitt to visit my cousin this weekend and I wasnt going to Pittsburgh w/o seeing their new park. The traffic getting in, and the parking is pretty bad, well awful really but its a one time thing so its the problem of Pirates fans.

HOF is a beautiful city.Nice before all the tourists.Ommegang Brewery has a nice tour and also has concerts on the lawn at times.Folks type acts mostly.Cooperstown Brewery is not good.

Maybe it's hard to tell, but it's still there. Just over the bull pens. Same scoreboard, just moved. And doubled the number of orange umbrella CF seating. The pic I posted was small. Here's the original.

f2e79a69f81794b791eb41e8da4fec60.jpg

Yea, that pic is prob a better representation. My thot was that they prob put the scoreboard there where they did for the feel it gives overall.

It's in a beautiful location and it is one of the nicer open concourse parks. But not like ours.

How many parks are open concourse?

IMO, the open concourse is one of the neat things about the Marlins stadium. That stadium is such a contemporary design and doesnt fit the traditional feel that I prefer but the openness helps it in that regard.

HOF is a beautiful city.Nice before all the tourists.Ommegang Brewery has a nice tour and also has concerts on the lawn at times.Folks type acts mostly.Cooperstown Brewery is not good.

Also Scott,I know you like beer and music.Saranac Lake Brewery in Utica.About an hour from Cooperstown also has some concerts.I know the Dropkick Murphys and other bands are playing at the brewery this year.

Yea, that pic is prob a better representation. My thot was that they prob put the scoreboard there where they did for the feel it gives overall.

I agree. At the time, there was clear view of the Bromo Tower and I think that's why the scoreboard was put in CF, so folks could see it. Janet Marie Smith was brilliant. My idea of moving the scoreboard was based on that the view we're left with now is dominated by the Hilton which strongly resembles a downtown jail or generic hospital structure. It's an attempt to refocus it on the warehouse and train station (which the scoreboard blocked in many seats). There's a book about the building of it called "Ballpark" and I may re-read it again this summer. It's one of my favorites. Fascinating back story.

Archived