One third through the season the O's are on an amazing 93 win pace.

wildcard

I thought we were projected to win 74? Morons.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the sportswriters that predicted the Orioles to go 74-88 this season.

I DO think that they could be a little more forthcoming about how they were mistaken, though.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't necessarily have a problem with the sportswriters that predicted the Orioles to go 74-88 this season.

I DO think that they could be a little more forthcoming about how they were mistaken, though.

IMO, and thats only my own opinion.

I don't think the sportswriters are complete morons for that prediction of 74-88. It was not out of the whelm of imagination that the SP was that bad.

However, for true fans of the team to predict that outcome, is truly puzzling to me. but that is my own 2 cents.

I thought we were projected to win 74? Morons.

And this is the kind of thing/sentiment that I am talking about.

This is something that was said in the preseason (late March), but it is something that I viewed to be rather unfair, considering how competitive that the Orioles have been overall since the 2012 season.

Again ........ it wasn't so much the prediction itself that bothered me, but the rather back-handed/condescending tone in which the author portrayed Orioles in the title of the article.

538: Even The Orioles Have A Shot In The AL East

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/even-the-orioles-have-a-shot-in-the-al-east/

A chat amongst the stat minded writers at 538 discusses the AL east:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/even-the-orioles-have-a-shot-in-the-al-east/

Thanks.

But the title of the article itself is peculiar.

If this were March of 2012, I could understand it.

But the Orioles are coming off of an 81-81 season, with the 3 previous seasons all being over .500.

Granted that you could make an argument that the Orioles will slip even further this season, and finish below .500. But "Even the Orioles have a chance" is a title that previews of Oriole teams anywhere from about March of 2003 and March of 2012 warranted, not March of 2016.

I'm not sure we should be singling out 538, since their title, while a bit snarky, basically said this could happen.

I am.

As I stated in the thread at the time, unless a team has done a fire-sale like the San Diego Padres did in the early-to-mid-90's, or like the Florida Marlins have done several times in the last 2 decades, you shouldn't name your article "Even So-and-So has a Chance" when "So-and-So" has had the best cumulative record in the American League over the last 4 seasons, and has not had a losing season since 2011 ...... even if they are most recently coming off of a disappointing 81-81 season.

Again, I have no problem with anyone picking the Orioles to continue their 2015 slide into 2016, and to finish in the AL East cellar with a record of 74-88 ...... but saying "Even the Orioles Have a Chance" is a bit over the top, in my rat's ass of an opinion.

Ewww, gross ....... a nude Peter Angelos?

"Hey !!! Who stole my collection of used bandages ??? And while they were at it, they also made away with my nude photos of Ernest Borgnine."

George Carlin, 1986

Archived