Fire Sale

weams

Even if he said this, was Buck being serious? Sounds like he could have been pulling their legs.

If he thought line up construction was that important he would come up with so many versions of it. It's all about how comfortable a player feels hitting in one spot over another.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"The Yankee announcers, whom I was forced to listen too this past series, had a funny story about that. They said Buck told them he gave Jones three options: Take a few days off , bat #6, or try batting #1. He framed it so lead off was a no brainer. Then he went on to say line up construction was greatly overrated."

How are they able to get that tidbit of info and the MD media never reported it? I'm calling B.S.

This, or a version of this, was discussed on the FOX broadcast. I'm sure they have media preps like they do for football and Buck gave them this.

"The Yankee announcers, whom I was forced to listen too this past series, had a funny story about that. They said Buck told them he gave Jones three options: Take a few days off , bat #6, or try batting #1. He framed it so lead off was a no brainer. Then he went on to say line up construction was greatly overrated."

How are they able to get that tidbit of info and the MD media never reported it? I'm calling B.S.

Ken Singleton is a former Oriole and Yankee and probably a friend of Buck's.

This, or a version of this, was discussed on the FOX broadcast. I'm sure they have media preps like they do for football and Buck gave them this.

I did hear this story from another source, not the YES announcers, but I don't remember who it was.

It doesn't hurt our offense much at all if Davis is a .768 OPS 1B. It hurts if he's a .923 guy like last year or even an .850 guy. What team in the history of baseball signs a guy to a 5-7 year contract, and then pays another team to take the contract, 3 months into it? Just a dumb idea. The Britton one is even worse.

You always ask us what we'd do and then tell us that it's not realistic because Peter Angelos would never allow it. Then you come up with stuff like this. Splain that!

He can't explain it, because it makes no rational sense.

He can't explain it, because it makes no rational sense.

It might make some sense - but I think it hinges on the deferred portion of the contract. My understanding is that $42M of the $161M is deferred until after the completion of the contract. That reduces the apparent per year value of the contract to $17M. If the Mets took Davis off of our hands at $15MM per year, then we only eat $2MM a year, a price that would be worth it if the return netted someone like a Syndergaard or DeGrom (Toss in Gausman or Bundy, I'm good with it).

My question though, and I think the only way that scenario gets any serious consideration, is if the Os STILL are on the hook for the $42MM deferred. Can anyone tell me if that would be the case? Or would a team willing to trade for Davis also have to assume the deferred portion of the contract (which would then make this suggestion pretty unrealistic)?

I still get Mcfarland a few shots at him starting right now before I decided to give up the farm. I know lots of people hate Mcfarland and i was not a huge fan but TJ. this season has looked like a completely different pitcher. I thought Buck was going to let him make the start instead of Wright but I guess he though he was more important in the pen vs the Yanks and lefties.

If we are making a trade Jimmy Nelson is a guy that intrigues me he has decent numbers and still rather young at 27 with 3 years of control as well.

The difference is I don't hold DD accountable for stuff that is out of his control. I would trade CD for a TOR but I wont blame him when he doesn't. Of course he cant. The point being IMO we need the TOR SP more than we need his bat no matter how well he is hitting. We have plenty of offense.

Archived