Nick Cafardo: Dan Duquette Is 'One Of The Best GMs In The Game'

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally concur with this: " If the Orioles would ever let him spend some money on someone, he'd make the right choice," Cafardo said. "I mean, he's that good. So coming to the Orioles, there were obviously some restrictions on him financially, but I really think he's made the most of what he's been able to do. Everyone makes their mistakes, and I think [pitcher Jake] Arrieta is going to be his, but there are probably some other things involved there."

I think he's been good overall but he has definitely made his share of mistakes and the foundation was set in place when he got here, including the manager. Cafardo is one guy in the press and it's one man's opinion.

Also, it's tough to know exactly how much Duquette's hands are tied on doing what he wants.

This is key.

I think he's been good overall but he has definitely made his share of mistakes and the foundation was set in place when he got here, including the manager. Cafardo is one guy in the press and it's one man's opinion.

Also, it's tough to know exactly how much Duquette's hands are tied on doing what he wants.

I agree with all this.

But Ubaldo and Gallardo are real headscratchers. At the time. And now.

Duquette is killing this club. Trading away picks for washed up pitchers

(pitching is where I have the most disagrement.) He held us hostage last

year with the whole Toronto thing as the rest of the AL East improved and

signed most of the good free agents. I would have fired him right then.

I despised the Ubaldo signing at the time. Wrote this:

Now, let's look to the other draft pick loss candidate. Ubaldo Jimenez. 30 years old. Coming off a bounce back year in 2013 in which he put up the following numbers: 3.30 ERA, 1.330 WHIP, 9.6 SO/9, 3.9 BB/9, 114 ERA+. All pretty good numbers...aside from his 5 2/3 IP average. And his near 4 BB/9 walk rate.

Digging in a little deeper, his 3 year snapshot doesn't look nearly as good:

183 IP/year

32 games/year

5 2/3 IP/game

1.446 WHIP

90 ERA+

4.45 ERA

The trick with Ubaldo is determining whether or not his 2013 was an aberration...or reverting back to his form with the Rockies (2007-2010). And the other problems being his inability to pitch deep into games. And his high walk rate. If you recall earlier, the Orioles pitching staff did not pitch deep into games in 2013 (averaging 5 2/3 IP per start). And while Ubaldo's strikeout rate would be very welcome....his walks and inability to go deep will end up hurting the O's. In addition the question mark of consistency will come into play. One thing is for sure about Ubaldo: he has a higher ceiling. But Ubaldo isn't a guy you bank on for teams like the O's. If the O's already had a pitcher like James Shields...sure...go get Ubaldo. But not in this situation.

I don't like buying high on guys with little track record and giving them a starting spot. Especially with having to give up a 1st rounder.

I totally concur with this: " If the Orioles would ever let him spend some money on someone, he'd make the right choice," Cafardo said. "I mean, he's that good. So coming to the Orioles, there were obviously some restrictions on him financially, but I really think he's made the most of what he's been able to do. Everyone makes their mistakes, and I think [pitcher Jake] Arrieta is going to be his, but there are probably some other things involved there."

A freaking men.

I'm with this....

After 10+ years of the worst record in the AL before he arrived, the Os have the best record in the AL since he arrived.

of course he is one of the best GMs in the game. I think he is the best.

It seems you folks care more about prospect rankings than the actual standings. He has squeezed every possible win out of each roster, he is completely unsentimental, he has taken advantage of several inefficiencies in the market to win with an average payroll, but you still are not satisfied. odd.

After 10+ years of the worst record in the AL before he arrived, the Os have the best record in the AL since he arrived.

of course he is one of the best GMs in the game. I think he is the best.

It seems you folks care more about prospect rankings than the actual standings. He has squeezed every possible win out of each roster, he is completely unsentimental, he has taken advantage of several inefficiencies in the market to win with an average payroll, but you still are not satisfied. odd.

I think you're on to something. BTW, welcome to the board and remember if you ever need to refer to draft picks, always capitalize. As in: DRAFT PICKS!!! Exclamation points optional, but you get the idea.

;)

Archived