Going by what Buck said, I assume Jimenez will keep getting thrown out there (To the Pen)

Dark Helmet

So in reading Buck's comments it appears that Buck not only doesn't want Jiminez to start again he doesn't want him in the bullpen. I don't really get what the original poster was hearing. He specifically said he wasn't going to let Jiminez read about it and would tell him face to face.

I don't know why they can't hide him in the bulllpen. They hid rule 5 guys in the bullpen. They hid Kevin Gregg in the Bullpen. As the team is in serious need of starting pitching. I would hide Jiminez in the bullpen and let him work on getting his act together. Maybe he could get an "Injury" in the bullpen and do 2 or 3 rehab starts in Triple A. I wouldn't throw 20 million dollars away. Jiminez was effective the first half of last year.

This year we have three SP's who barely make it through 5 innings. We can't afford to dilute the bullpen.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The real issue with ubaldo is with his diminished velocity, there isn't a huge difference in his change and fastball.

The little bit of deception in his windup and his total lack of command prevent him from being effective with his diminished "stuff".

I see no way he is an effective starting pitcher going forward, he isn't magically going to become consistent or even effective with his issues.

The real issue with ubaldo is with his diminished velocity, there isn't a huge difference in his change and fastball.

The little bit of deception in his windup and his total lack of command prevent him from being effective with his diminished "stuff".

I see no way he is an effective starting pitcher going forward, he isn't magically going to become consistent or even effective with his issues.

He was effective the first half of last year. Now he is the worst starter in all of major league baseball. He had 2.6 WAR last year and 2.7 WAR in 2013. It isn't like he was throwing 95 mph last year. If he could get to throwing like he did first half of last year he could be quite effective. When you have 20 million dollars left to pay a guy you tend to be more patient.

He was effective the first half of last year. Now he is the worst starter in all of major league baseball. He had 2.6 WAR last year and 2.7 WAR in 2013. It isn't like he was throwing 95 mph last year. If he could get to throwing like he did first half of last year he could be quite effective. When you have 20 million dollars left to pay a guy you tend to be more patient.
I sort of like the idea of rehabilitating players who are no longer effective. Rather than just tossing them away. That's just me as a fan; it makes a great story. I also have visions of Ubaldo being released and signing on with another team who takes the time to do this rehabilitation. Then he becomes the next Arrieta. :eektf:

You could kick Rickard to the curb and go with a 3 man bench. There are options.

We can't really go with a 3 man bench because Hardy has already gotten hurt. Alvarez is atrocious in the field. Ubaldo needs to go to the DL. It would be for the best. His pride has to be hurting. Go down to extended ST and work on his mechanics for a month. He's still getting paid. He really should for the team. I don't think he'd be any good out of the pen. Too inconsistent and we need all 7 relievers at this point.

So in reading Buck's comments it appears that Buck not only doesn't want Jiminez to start again he doesn't want him in the bullpen. I don't really get what the original poster was hearing. He specifically said he wasn't going to let Jiminez read about it and would tell him face to face.

I don't know why they can't hide him in the bulllpen. They hid rule 5 guys in the bullpen. They hid Kevin Gregg in the Bullpen. As the team is in serious need of starting pitching. I would hide Jiminez in the bullpen and let him work on getting his act together. Maybe he could get an "Injury" in the bullpen and do 2 or 3 rehab starts in Triple A. I wouldn't throw 20 million dollars away. Jiminez was effective the first half of last year.

I never said Buck was the one throwing him out there or wanted him around. I got the sense Bucks hands are tied in regards to Jimenez.

Jimenez has not only been in ineffective, but maybe the worst SP in baseball going on almost a full season worth of starts. What are you seeing no one else is, that makes you even inclined to think he can regain any of his form that was somewhat successful?

I was talking with my Dad last night, and we both agreed that he probably needs to get the Pablo Sandoval treatment: 60 day DL with an "injury" and say "This year failed, see you in Florida in February." Then you can figure it out in his contract walk year. If he still sucks, you're only eating a year. If by some miracle he comes back ready to pitch for his walk year, then reap the benefits, but for God's sakes, don't ever bring him back after.
I read that MLB checks on putting players on the DL. They ask for medical reports. That makes sense because if there are no checks at all about DLing players, then every time some player is slumping, don't need to trade or DFA him. Just make up an injury and put him on the DL. I don't believe that it's quite so simple as that.

Jimenez has not only been in ineffective, but maybe the worst SP in baseball going on almost a full season worth of starts. What are you seeing no one else is, that makes you even inclined to think he can regain any of his form that was somewhat successful?
The theory that talent is 5% inspiration(i.e. "stuff") and 95% perspiration. Buck has said that he wants to work to become more successful in helping out his team. It's going to take a lot of time working with Ramon while pitching mop-up. I may be wrong, but I believe that he can regain some of his ability for some role on the team. Maybe he would consent to be sent down (would he have to pass through waivers?) if the only alternative is being released.

2013 on May 22,Ubaldo had a 6.04 ERA. It was above 5 on June 7th and then he pitched really good. In July of 2015,his ERA was 5.88 and August 6.33. So he has had two good half seasons since 2010.

2011 ERA 4.68

2012 5.40

2013 3.30

2014 4.81

2015 4.11

2016 6.89

I guess you could get lighting in a bottle for a half season or maybe he will stay his bad self forever. He has not been real good except for two half seasons and has been bad otherwise since 2010.

The thing about Ubaldo is, he can look really good at times. I feel he is one of those guys who will still be bouncing around MLB when he's 40, having had some good seasons and having been released several times. I'm not saying this as an argument that we should keep him. I'd be perfectly fine cutting ties. At a minimum he needs to go to the pen, though I have a hard time imagining he will be good in that role.

Archived