Going by what Buck said, I assume Jimenez will keep getting thrown out there (To the Pen)

Dark Helmet

Can you imagine the schadenfreude that would happen if Ubaldo went on to an Arrieta like. Season for anoth r team while we are on the hook for he $13m?
Probably a truly dumb question: I've seen this word many times at various places. But what does "schadenfreude" mean?

I do have a recurring nightmare: Ubaldo gets released, and is signed to a minor league contract by another team (hope it's NOT any division rivals). He does the Jake Arrieta thing and eventually becomes a huge star, Cy Young winner. :eektf:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably a truly dumb question: I've seen this word many times at various places. But what does "schadenfreude" mean?

I do have a recurring nightmare: Ubaldo gets released, and is signed to a minor league contract by another team (hope it's NOT any division rivals). He does the Jake Arrieta thing and eventually becomes a huge star, Cy Young winner. :eektf:

scha-den-freu-de

ˈSHadənˌfroidə/

noun

noun: Schadenfreude; noun: schadenfreude

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

It is as easy as highlight, right click, search google.

The word was used incorrectly here. Schadenfreude is when you delight in someone else's suffering. So if we traded Ubaldo to the Yankees and he did terrible for them, then we might experience schadenfreude.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The word was used incorrectly here. Schadenfreude is when you delight in someone else's suffering. So if we traded Ubaldo to the Yankees and he did terrible for them, then we might experience schadenfreude.

In all fairness, the fans of the team assuming the Cubs' role in this scenario could be experiencing it.

The sad thing is, is that Ramon Martinez seemed to have him straightened out last spring and he slowly reverted to his bad ways and has only continued to get worse. At this stage of his career, Ubaldo ought to be able figure out his mechanics by himself but he seems to have no clue. A few games ago when he went 5 IP and then couldn't get an out in the 6th, he said he was close. Guess not. I'm for releasing him.

Yeah but its not your 20 million. Angelos might have other feelings on the subject.

The sad thing is, is that Ramon Martinez seemed to have him straightened out last spring and he slowly reverted to his bad ways and has only continued to get worse. At this stage of his career, Ubaldo ought to be able figure out his mechanics by himself but he seems to have no clue. A few games ago when he went 5 IP and then couldn't get an out in the 6th, he said he was close. Guess not. I'm for releasing him.

At this point I'd rather have Ramon Martinez in our rotation.

I really wish Ubaldo would agree to go to the minors where he could actually get innings and hopefully get straightened out (have him go back to his 2015 mechanics) but I doubt he will agree to that. Other than that I don't see much point in keeping him.

The Ubaldo problem would still be happening regardless of Miguel. Miguel had a bad year and a bad spring with a major drop in velocity. He was given a chance to make the team and he didn't do it. He was also going to cost about $5M. DD took a calculated risk that he could use the money to sign Fowler and find the next Miguel in Tyler Wilson or Mike Wright. It is possible that one or the other still outproduces Miguel over the 2-3 years, if not this year.

The Orioles released Gonzalez on March 30, more than a month after Fowler re-signed with the Cubs.

I should never use big words. I meant to say rooting for someone to fail. There must be a fancy German word for that.

Archived