The myth of the O's as a good defensive team

webbrick2010

Orioles now rank 24/30 in DER, and 20/30 in fpct

They are still in the top 1/2 in CS % and double plays turned

How much is due to Hardy being out

How big and impact is this having on the pitching?

What should be the plan going forward to get back to elite defensive status

The DER interests me as it basically says the O's are way below average in the number of balls they get to. This certainly passes the eye test for the OF which doesn't seem to get to much.

The corner OF spots are both weak defensively.

Hardy being out has hurt us some. Manny makes some spectacular plays at SS but he is error prone, and even though Flash and Janish have played well at 3B, they are not Manny.

A big factor in our bad defensive numbers is that the pitchers have made 10 errors already. They made only 9 all last year.

Hardy being out has hurt us some. Manny makes some spectacular plays at SS but he is error prone, and even though Flash and Janish have played well at 3B, they are not Manny.

A big factor in our bad defensive numbers is that the pitchers have made 10 errors already. They made only 9 all last year.

Jones is having a poor year with the glove. He also only has one assist, which is where he normally gets a lot of his value on defense.

Jones is having a poor year with the glove. He also only has one assist, which is where he normally gets a lot of his value on defense.

What are the chance of him being shifted to right field next season?

Some of the stats suggest that Jones is having a poor year with the glove, but I can't say I've noticed it.

He did drop one right before banging into a wall in the Jays series. Part of the problem on that play was that Rickard got too close to him so he had to worry about hitting the wall and colliding with Rickard while trying to make the catch.

What are the chance of him being shifted to right field next season?

This is my opinion.

The O's would have to acquire someone of significant stature for such a move to occur.

I put the chances at very close to zero.

If I had to guess I would say he stays in CF for the length of his current contract.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O's Insider blog: Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy to begin minor league rehab assignment Tuesday at Dou... <a href="https://t.co/U6OxOjb27S">https://t.co/U6OxOjb27S</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">June 13, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Something I noticed too. Terrible fielding by the pitchers. How do pitchers factor into these statistics?

This is my opinion.

The O's would have to acquire someone of significant stature for such a move to occur.

I put the chances at very close to zero.

If I had to guess I would say he stays in CF for the length of his current contract.

Dexter Fowler?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/an-annual-reminder-from-eric-hosmer-and-adam-jones/

Adam Jones has had fluctuating seasonal numbers throughout his career, but even taking a negative view, he likely isn’t this bad. From 2013 to 2015, Jones had 31 assists and much of his defensive value in UZR derives from his arm, but Jones has just one assist this season. Jones’ low number likely lies with opportunities that will likely even out over the course of the season.

Some of the stats suggest that Jones is having a poor year with the glove, but I can't say I've noticed it.

He did drop one right before banging into a wall in the Jays series. Part of the problem on that play was that Rickard got too close to him so he had to worry about hitting the wall and colliding with Rickard while trying to make the catch.

I have seen Adam misplay a couple of balls jumping up and missing the ball totally, doesn't pick up the error, either. So how does that get reflected in the metrics?

He has made great plays too.

But, isn't this what we get with Adam in CF?

He of the .403 OBP, which is almost as good as Hyun Soo Kim's (their OPS+'s are 143 and 131, respectively).

But also he of the underhanded ruse to use the Orioles as leverage for his contract for the Cubs. Duquette would have to be a pretty big man to let Lucy hold that football again.

Archived