Is our starting pitching really that bad

atomic

Looking at the American League East all the team ERA seem pretty close.

The team ERA's range from 3.87 for the Blue Jays to 4.22 to the Red Sox.

And if you look at the starters for each team. It looks like they all have 2 decent starters and a bunch of question marks with exception of the Blue Jays. Look how bad the Rays look even in a pitchers park.

Rays:

Chris Archer: 4.61 ERA

Matt Moore 5.05 ERA

Drew Smyly: 4.94 ERA

Jake Ordorizza 3.47 ERA

Red Sox:

David Price 4.63 ERA

Joe Kelly 8.46 ERA

Rick Porcello 3.81 ERA

Clay BUcholz 6.14 ERA

Steven Wright 2.09 ERA

Yankees:

Masahiro Tanaka 3.08 ERA

Michael Pineda 5.88 ERA

Nathan Eovaldi 4.42 ERA

CC Sabithia 2.28 ERA

Luis Servino 7.46 ERA

Blue Jays:

RA Dickey 4.16 ERA

Macus Stroman 4.94 ERA

Aaaron Snachez 3.38 ERA

JA Happ 3.70 ERA

Marco Estrada 2.57 ERA

Orioles:

Chris Tillman 3.01 ERA

Kevin Gausman 3.45 ERA

Ubaldo Jiminez 6.89 ERA

Mike Wright 5.31 ERA

Tyler Wilson 4.73 ERA

What makes our situation worse is that they don't have track records of success(Wilson, Wright) or might be done(Ubaldo, Gallardo).

That AL East is a tough division for pitchers. Especially considering all the money the teams have spent on position players other than the Rays.

I love to bash the NL lineups but look at the AL central and AL West. There are no light hitting teams in the AL East. Heck, the Rays are among the league leaders in HR's.

Wright and Wilson are question marks because of a lack of track record, but they have shown some signs of life. In also on the other hand had been about as bad as anyone could have imagined. The hard thing about Ubaldo is he seems like a really decent guy so I don't want to like on him.

And if you look at the starters for each team. It looks like they all have 2 decent starters and a bunch of question marks with exception of the Blue Jays. Look how bad the Rays look even in a pitchers park.

Rays:

Matt Moore 5.05 ERA

Jake Ordorizza 3.47 ERA

Red Sox:

David Price 4.63 ERA

Joe Kelly 8.46 ERA

Rick Porcello 3.81 ERA

Clay BUcholz 6.14 ERA

Steven Wright 2.09 ERA

Yankees:

Masahiro Tanaka 3.08 ERA

Michael Pineda 5.88 ERA

Nathan Eovaldi 4.42 ERA

C.C. Sabithia 2.28 ERA

Luis Servino 7.46 ERA

Blue Jays:

RA Dickey 4.16 ERA

Macus Stroman 4.94 ERA

Aaaron Snachez 3.38 ERA

JA Happ 3.70 ERA

Marco Estrada 2.57 ERA

Orioles:

Chris Tillman 3.01 ERA

Kevin Gausman 3.45 ERA

Ubaldo Jiminez 6.89 ERA

Mike Wright 5.31 ERA

Tyler Wilson 4.73 ERA

Sabathia started the season as the Yankees' #5 starter.

Now he is at least their #2 starter, maybe even their #1 starter.

Rays:

Matt Moore 5.05 ERA

Jake Ordorizza 3.47 ERA

Red Sox:

David Price 4.63 ERA

Joe Kelly 8.46 ERA

Rick Porcello 3.81 ERA

Clay BUcholz 6.14 ERA

Steven Wright 2.09 ERA

Yankees:

Masahiro Tanaka 3.08 ERA

Michael Pineda 5.88 ERA

Nathan Eovaldi 4.42 ERA

CC Sabithia 2.28 ERA

Luis Servino 7.46 ERA

Blue Jays:

RA Dickey 4.16 ERA

Macus Stroman 4.94 ERA

Aaaron Snachez 3.38 ERA

JA Happ 3.70 ERA

Marco Estrada 2.57 ERA

Orioles:

Chris Tillman 3.01 ERA

Kevin Gausman 3.45 ERA

Ubaldo Jiminez 6.89 ERA

Mike Wright 5.31 ERA

Tyler Wilson 4.73 ERA

Clay Bucholz has already been demoted to the Red Sox bullpen. I believe that ERod has taken his place in the rotation. I watched the game on TV where the O's beat the Sawx. Bucholz came in on long relief and he got hammered by the O's bats. He ended up taking the loss.

Those stats include the bullpen. Starters' ERA:

TOR 3.75

TBR 4.22

NYY 4.36

BOS 4.55

BAL 4.84

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty bad.

Wright and Wilson are question marks because of a lack of track record, but they have shown some signs of life. In also on the other hand had been about as bad as anyone could have imagined. The hard thing about Ubaldo is he seems like a really decent guy so I don't want to like on him.

You can like a guy but know he is not pitching well. I won't hate on Jimenez. I

think he trying his best but he just doesn't have it anymore as a starter. IMO

You can like a guy but know he is not pitching well. I won't hate on Jimenez. I

think he trying his best but he just doesn't have it anymore as a starter. IMO

I agree. For the immediate future, he certainly doesn't have it as a starter.

As many here know, I am the Grand Poobah of the Ubaldo Jimenez Fan Club. Which is why I don't want him released. I truly hope that he can contribute to the team out of the bullpen. I think that he can. :clap:

There's a lot of bad starting pitching out there, and that is indirectly helping the Orioles. It's surprising all the names in the AL that have an ERA north of four. On your list alone there is Price, Archer and Stroman, three guys with at least some pre-season buzz for the Cy Young Award.

Archived