Salary Dump Starting Pitchers

srock

I believe the most likely way to bolster the rotation is by finding a salary dump starter on a team out of contention.

Its not the only way, but I don't think the Orioles have the prospect depth to trade for a guy like Sonny Grey. It could happen, but lets focus on salary dumps.

Lets start a list of targets to discuss.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the most likely way to bolster the rotation is by finding a salary dump starter on a team out of contention.

Its not the only way, but I don't think the Orioles have the prospect depth to trade for a guy like Sonny Grey. It could happen, but lets focus on salary dumps.

Lets start a list of targets to discuss.

Lets start with Sonny Grey.

What is his issue this season, is he pitching poorly to force a trade?

Likely just mechanics. Since his return from the DL he's had two starts for a total of 12 2/3IP 10H 3ER 2BB 9K 2.13ERA 3.21FIP 3.22xFIP. So whatever it is, it looks like he has it figured out now.

Likely just mechanics. Since his return from the DL he's had two starts for a total of 12 2/3IP 10H 3ER 2BB 9K 2.13ERA 3.21FIP 3.22xFIP. So whatever it is, it looks like he has it figured out now.

Okay, good for him, I suspect deeper pocket teams like the Red Sox or the Stankees will out bid what the Oriole could put together.

If you are Oakland' date=' what would it take for Baltimore to offer to let him go?[/quote']

Honestly there isn't a lead piece Baltimore could offer. I know you all love Schoop, but a guy on pace to put up 2fWAR over his 25 year old season isn't going to headline a deal for Gray and moving Gausman makes no sense.Oakland is probably going to want 1 top 50 another top 100 and 1 or 2 high upside lottery pieces.

I haven't watched him, but the big thing I see in his numbers are walks are up and HR/9 are up. That tells me his command is off. If you get behind in the count you are going to get hit hard when you have to throw strikes. And when you get hit hard, they are going to be 3-run HRs.

His velocity appears to be fine.

Would you take a flyer on Ricky Nolasco (5.12 ERA, 3.46 FIP) or Ervin Santana (5.10 ERA, 4.58 FIP)?

Nolasco: $12 mm in 2016 & 2017, option for $13 mm in 2018 that vests if the throws 400 IP in '16-'17.

Santana: $13.5 mm in 2016-18, option for $14 mm in 2019 that vests with an undisclosed number of innings in 2017-18.

Archived