An ironic quote from Buck's first week in Baltimore

Frobby

Remember this one? Talking about the difficulty of pitching in the American League:

http://www.sbsun.com/sports/20100806/swept-by-birds-of-a-different-feather

Who has the big, strong, hairy guys now?

I forgot how terrible the O's record was that year. Worst in baseball before Buck took over. Its easy to forgot after 13 previous years of awful baseball.

Quite the difference from then and now. Here is the lineup on Buck's first day managing (August 3rd, 2010) compared to today.

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

[tr]

[td]Then[/td]

[td]Now[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Brian Roberts 2B[/td]

[td]Adam Jones CF[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Nick Markakis RF[/td]

[td]Joey Rickard RF[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Ty Wigginton 1B[/td]

[td]Manny Machado SS[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Luke Scott DH[/td]

[td]Mark Trumbo DH[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Adam Jones CF[/td]

[td]Chris Davis 1B[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Felix Pie LF[/td]

[td]Matt Wieters C[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Matt Wieters C[/td]

[td]Jonathan Schoop 2B[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Josh Bell 3B[/td]

[td]Nolan Reimold LF[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Cesar Izturis SS[/td]

[td]

Paul Janish 3B[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

The 2010 lineup actually looks better than I thought it would, but still, it's not pretty. When our current team is healthy and Hardy is back at shortstop, there are legitimate power threats 1-9. The 2010 lineup , uh, not quite.

Quite the difference from then and now. Here is the lineup on Buck's first day managing (August 3rd, 2010) compared to today.

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

[tr]

[td]Then[/td]

[td]Now[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Brian Roberts 2B[/td]

[td]Adam Jones CF[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Nick Markakis RF[/td]

[td]Joey Rickard RF[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Ty Wigginton 1B[/td]

[td]Manny Machado SS[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Luke Scott DH[/td]

[td]Mark Trumbo DH[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Adam Jones CF[/td]

[td]Chris Davis 1B[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Felix Pie LF[/td]

[td]Matt Wieters C[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Matt Wieters C[/td]

[td]Jonathan Schoop 2B[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Josh Bell 3B[/td]

[td]Nolan Reimold LF[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Cesar Izturis SS[/td]

[td]

Paul Janish 3B[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

The 2010 lineup actually looks better than I thought it would, but still, it's not pretty. When our current team is healthy and Hardy is back at shortstop, there are legitimate power threats 1-9. The 2010 lineup , uh, not quite.

Uggh. Josh Bell. 2 bb's to 53k's that year. He's currently batting .256 for the Lancaster Barnstormers (Ind).

I can't remember the yrar, but on the Boston radio broadcast they were talking about the Mother's day game a few years ago...names like Chris Ray, and Kevin Millar reminded me of how far this team has come.

Chris Ray started out great here, his first two years for the team was outstanding and unfortunately for him, his lost his ability to pitch here.

Bell and Izturis was the scary ones in that lineup.

I can't remember the yrar, but on the Boston radio broadcast they were talking about the Mother's day game a few years ago...names like Chris Ray, and Kevin Millar reminded me of how far this team has come.

Chris Ray runs a micro brewery in Ashland, VA. Center of the Universe.

The people of Ashland believe the town to be the center of the universe. Its weird.

Chris Ray runs a micro brewery in Ashland, VA. Center of the Universe.

The people of Ashland believe the town to be the center of the universe. Its weird.

I'm in Ashland right now :) posting from a coffee shop because the power is out all over the Richmond area right now.

Center of the Universe is a fantastic brewery. But not even in my top 3 in the Richmond area haha. I'd personally go:

1. Strangeways

2. Final Gravity

3/4. Hardywood/Ardent

Ashland is a very weird town. They consider themselves a train town, but are stringently against hi speed rail. I'm personally extremely in favor of it, but I understand the hurdle is the ever present "not in my backyard" mentality.

Relive the misery that was the Mother's Day massacre, circa 5/13/2007:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200705130.shtml

Archived