Wilson's gem may save Wright --- for now

wildcard

Wilson's unexpected 8 inning scoreless effort has taken the pressure off the pen in the near term. That could mean that Wright does not need to be optioned after he pitches tonight. The move for a reliever may be able to wait because everyone in pen is now available.

Wright could stay in the rotation after tonights game and make his next start vs the Padres. Buck's question of "If not Wright then who?" does not really have an answer until Worley comes back on the 27th.

However, by the time Worley is back Wright better have it figured out because Despaigne and Worley are both capable of starting and other one of them can serve as the long man.

I can't really predict what Buck and Dan will do. They have proven that to me too many times. However, I question whether even a bad effort tonight would prevent Wright from making his next start.

I agree with the conclusion but not sure about the reason. I don't think Wright is really in danger of being optioned. If they did want to option somebody for bullpen depth, both Despaigne and TJ can ride the shuttle.

The biggest reason why Wright has some security for the moment is the injury to Vance Worley combined with the implosion of Ubaldo Jimenez. If we go to Despaigne it would be as an absolute last resort as that would make us even thinner in the bullpen.

I think it might help but not for reason of saving the pen. I though go to a 4 man rotation with some off days but Wilson was very good and it may have helped that he had an extra day off. He looked much crisper with location and breaking ball. If we stay with 5 man rotation it could help him and some of other guys limit innings. Tilman it doesn't really matter but other guys have not had huge workloads before.

I agree with the conclusion but not sure about the reason. I don't think Wright is really in danger of being optioned. If they did want to option somebody for bullpen depth, both Despaigne and TJ can ride the shuttle.

The biggest reason why Wright has some security for the moment is the injury to Vance Worley combined with the implosion of Ubaldo Jimenez. If we go to Despaigne it would be as an absolute last resort as that would make us even thinner in the bullpen.

With Gallardo coming off the DL on Saturday either McFarland being optioned or Duensing being DFA seems likely. Probably McFarland to Norfolk.

If Wright does not pitch better by the time Worley is back I think he loses his rotation spot. Buck will pick either Despaigne or Worley to replace him IMO.

Buck has seen enough poor pitching from the rotation. I think he will make moves to try to find another solution to the problem(s).

I think Duensing will be DFA on the next pitcher move. No point in having two mop up guys in Ubaldo and Duensing. He clearly isn't being used as a LOOGY, so.. he gone.

They used him the other day to try and get Ortiz. I think Ortiz and Duensing both thought it was crushed, although fortunately it was a harmless 370 ft out.

Archived