Options for Wednesday start?

bpilktree

Ubaldo would be about as idiotic as calling Wright back up once O'Day was hurt. Nothing would say: hey you're a terrible starter and essentially doom every game you come in, but hey let's set the chances of winning this game on fire...right from the beginning quite like this move.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ubaldo would be about as idiotic as calling Wright back up once O'Day was hurt. Nothing would say: hey you're a terrible starter and essentially doom every game you come in, but hey let's set the chances of winning this game on fire...right from the beginning quite like this move.

So then who do you start? Wright, McFarland and Despaigne are unavailable.

Who would you have called up, instead of Wright?

You know, we are 6-7 in Ubaldo's starts this year. And most of them came against better teams than San Diego.

I certainly wouldn't look forward to watching him start again, in fact I wouldn't subject myself to watching without at least mixing a very strong drink or three. But I don't think starting him in one he against the Padres and their crappy 4A White Sox cast-off starting pitcher dooms us to a loss.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

105.7 seamed to think different, they claimed, it would blow one of their options, unless they kept them the whole year

It would only burn an option if it is someone one not on the 40 man roster and then they send them back down.

105.7 seamed to think different, they claimed, it would blow one of their options, unless they kept them the whole year

That makes no sense. Once a player is on the 40 man roster they have to be optioned to play on a minor league team. Players like Aquino and Garcia have already been optioned this year.

Unless they are talking about adding a player not on the 40 man right now.

So then who do you start? Wright, McFarland and Despaigne are unavailable.

Despaigne threw 27 pitches in a day game. I'd patchwork him and whomever wasn't used Tuesday. Ubaldo shouldn't even be on a major league roster at this point.

As to the Wright question, would have called up Despaigne or Gunkel. Bringing up a terrible starter like Wright after you were sending a messagethat he needed a pot of work is just a poor move.

It would only burn an option if it is someone one not on the 40 man roster and then they send them back down.

You beat me to it.

I still think at least for Wednesday's game even if you start Ubaldo depending on how tonight goes they can still add a starter as a back up plan. Then that starter gets sent down for Drake.

I feel like it has to be Bundy. There is very little to choose from at Norfolk or Bowie, and

the trade market for starters this year is absolutely terrible. They are pretty much stuck

with in house options, unless you want to take a flyer on someone like Matt Latos.

Buck has said that they feel like Bundy is much more effective when given extra rest

between outings. There best chance at this point in adding a decent starter is to

start stretching Bundy out. Best case scenario is you get him working maybe 5 or 6

innings at a time two months from now. In the meantime if you get three decent innings

from him per start and back him up with some long relief, you still are better off then,

getting three horrible innings from Ubaldo or Wright. Either way you are going to have

to use the pen, might as well put someone out there with some upside.

It'll be Ubaldo. Face it. Look at it this way. It's another chance to call Buck an idiot.

If it's not Ubaldo, how do we justify keeping him on the team? At a minimum, he has to find the DL. I really think it's time to cut bait, but they don't seem to understand the concept of sunk cost.

Archived