Anyone catch Manny's comments on Saturday about moving back to 3B?

Frobby

I think there has been a rash of them as of late. I think there are enough lately so that Buck shouldn't just laugh them off. A little private nudge should suffice at this point.

In my mind, I distinguish between lack of hustle and a mental mistake like making the 3rd out at 3B. They both need to be corrected, but I don't see them as quite the same thing. The first comes from not giving enough effort, the second comes from giving effort without thinking things through carefully. I don't think Manny is particularly prone to either thing, but he is not immune from them.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my mind, I distinguish between lack of hustle and a mental mistake like making the 3rd out at 3B. They both need to be corrected, but I don't see them as quite the same thing. The first comes from not giving enough effort, the second comes from giving effort without thinking things through carefully. I don't think Manny is particularly prone to either thing, but he is not immune from them.

They are human, and they all make mistakes, even AJ has lost track of the outs, it happens.

Some posters like to climb on their soapbox and claim the guys are getting paid money so they shouldn't have a mental lapse, etc.

But, it happens, as long as its not a regular occurrence, then all is good.

They are human, and they all make mistakes, even AJ has lost track of the outs, it happens.

Some posters like to climb on their soapbox and claim the guys are getting paid money so they shouldn't have a mental lapse, etc.

But, it happens, as long as its not a regular occurrence, then all is good.

I have always thought that certain players tend to get singled out more than they deserve. It's been a really long time since the Orioles had a player who I thought routinely didn't hustle or made a really abnormal number of mental mistakes. At various times I've heard BRob, Tejada, Mora and Jones criticized by some posters for having one or both transgressions too often, but I always thought it was a bit overblown. Albert Belle is the last guy I can remember who really bothered me with how he'd fail to run with even 75% effort on ground balls.

I have always thought that certain players tend to get singled out more than they deserve. It's been a really long time since the Orioles had a player who I thought routinely didn't hustle or made a really abnormal number of mental mistakes. At various times I've heard BRob, Tejada, Mora and Jones criticized by some posters for having one or both transgressions too often, but I always thought it was a bit overblown. Albert Belle is the last guy I can remember who really bothered me with how he'd fail to run with even 75% effort on ground balls.

I remember some thought Eddie Murray didn't run out every hit, and that wasn't true.

I remember some thought Eddie Murray didn't run out every hit, and that wasn't true.

I'm sure he didn't. Hardly anybody does. Most give 100% effort if they know the play is likely to be close, and more like 85% effort if it's not likely to be close. I'd say on the Orioles, Reimold and Kim stand out as guys who run at 100% effort almost every time, and Jones is probably next in that regard. Everyone else is in the average category IMO.

Manny is not and will never be a clubhouse problem. Occasionally he might dog it a bit but it almost never is a situation where the team needs him to hustle something out.

Look, Manny is not the most affable guy to the media and maybe he didn't bow down at the Palmer temple so now Machado is on his crap list, but at the end of the day, I'll take 8 more Machado's and win a bunch of World Series. He's a once in a lifetime talent, and he's still just 23-years old and is one of the best players in the league. He's not Bryce Harper, but he's not perfect either.

He's a great teammate, loves playing the game of baseball and hopefully be an Oriole for life.

I agree. I hope Manny stays an Oriole his career.

I don't think he has an attitude problem, but he is very cocky and does very 23-year old things.

But this clubhouse is a model of Buck. He runs a tight ship and holds his guys to a high standard. It's drastically different than the crap that goes on in the Red Sox clubhouse.

Wouldn't you be a little cocky if your best historical comp was Mike Schmidt?

Archived