Fix the SP, and you have a Playoff team

21xxxv

Nice post. It's good to see facts. Fans are delusional if they feel this team is OK at SP.

I think everyone knows the Starting Pitching is the weakness of this team. If the Starting pitching was great we would be 20+ games over .500. DD needs to get another starter.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Playoffs is a crap shoot.

It would be nice to a couple of lockdown starters for the playoffs, but in reality, this is not necessary. If you can get into the playoffs, you got a shot the ring.

Its more about getting hot at the right time.

Absolutely. Certainly not anything like an assured position. Heck, the Royals even got lucky enough to win one.

The results say the starting pitching is good enough.

I'd upgrade starters if possible, yes. But at what cost?

I'm wondering if bolstering the bullpen isn't a better choice. Ride out the starters until Sept 1 then carry a 16 man pitching staff so starters do not need to go deep into games.

Cheaper and easier then acquiring a better starting pitcher.

DD and Buck always do a great job in September and they give us an advantage over most teams with the way they manage the depth of the roster in September. It's not the answer to the rotation now, nor will it be if we make the playoffs, but it will help those last 5 weeks of the season.

We really need to see what Gallardo does first and give Gausman and Wilson some more time.

Keep the ears open of course, but the trade market is awful right now.

This.

1. Tillman

2. Gausman

3. Gallardo

4. Wilson

Tillman is an All-Star putting up his best season. Gausman will be fine, IMO. Gallardo and Wilson need to keep pitching, and hopefully be serviceable. I have no idea what they do for a 5th starter with Jimenez banished to the 'pen and Wright being banished to the minors. Worley maybe?

There are no guarantees, but surely you would want the most talented team possible before the games are played, and the Orioles certainly have holes to fix. It is possible to win without an elite SP, but it sure couldn't hurt to have one. That is not to say that I advocate selling the farm for Rich Hill.

Is love to upgrade the rotation. It is the weakest part of this team. It's just not bad enough to to be ruining the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel we already have a playoff team. It's more like, "fix the SP, and you have a serious contender."

But it's all about being hot at the right time. For example, if Wilson can pitch anything close to how he looked in his last start, look out. He's learning how to pitch, as opposed to just throwing. See: Wright, Mike

I think we're already a playoff team with the rotation as it is. I don't think they can win the WS with this rotation, though. If the title of this thread was, "Fix the Rotation, and you have a WS winning team," then I think more would agree with you.

How would they fix it? Teams that have good pitching is not going to trade it away

And to try to fix it would delete the farm system even more. I for one don't want

to trade away what little we have. I say just let it play out. Maybe there are

pitchers in the minors that could come up at some time. IMO

David Price has lost 3 out of his last 4 games. It is not like he is shutting people out now. The Red Sox pitching might be worse than ours. They will be competing for getting starters in trades.

Wright is the difference right now. Price and Tillman have pitched comparably IMO; Porcello and Wilson; and crap vs. crap. Wright has outpitched Gausman.

If you add the bullpen, the Orioles have had the better overall pitching staff (in spite of a higher overall ERA, ERA+ and WHIP). This is because Boston's defense has been much better.

How would they fix it? Teams that have good pitching is not going to trade it away

And to try to fix it would delete the farm system even more. I for one don't want

to trade away what little we have. I say just let it play out. Maybe there are

pitchers in the minors that could come up at some time. IMO

See my post a few above yours. There's really no SP our there I'd give up much of anything for either. Rich Hill has had a nice start, but everyone knows he's a journeyman at best. With his history and being a FA, he's not worth much, IMO. I wouldn't give Atlanta anything for their guy - they always seems to fleece teams when they trade pitchers (see us with the BJ Surhoff deal, and the Shelby Miller deal with Arizona). About the only guy I'd give up anything of value for would be Sonny Gray, and even he has been bad this year. The guy from SD is nothing special either. Maybe give up Christian Walker for him, but I dunno if I'd even do that. Depends on how desperate we get in the next 5 weeks and what Gallardo and Wilson can give us going forward.

Dat boi Rich Hill seems like a perfect fit. A's should be seller's and he is a veteran lefty on a one year deal. Wonder if they would take Mike wright for him

He's rehabbing. Only making $6m. Had some stellar numbers. He's going to cost more than Mike Wright.

Archived