Things that need to happen..

Dark Helmet

I for one could not understand how Gausman and Wieters let their catcher foul off like 10 pitches in a row all but one a fastball on the outside of the plate and let him hit a sac fly? Why not throw a 97 mph heater down the middle of the plate (rising fastball) about shoulder level and see if he would chase? Or something low and inside? Makes me think Wieters was scared he would hit him in the ribs like he did Beltran. Bundy already shows much more ability to pitch to either side of the plate than Gausman, who much like Daniel Cabrera has the high mph fastball that he cannot consistently command and an unreliable curveball, which when it is not working he is in big trouble.

I don't know why they didn't go inside but twice they tried to go up in the zone and Matt was looking fastball up with glove but Gausman missed and the ball was right down the middle. He was clearly leaning over the plate so inside was the pitch.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Wieters needs to work on his pitch sequencing, and where he sets up behind the plate. This is one one facet of catching where Joseph is much better than Wieters, IMO. These prolonged battles with hitters where our pitchers are throwing nothing but fastballs seem to happen way too often with our pitching staff. Wieters calls for the fastball far too often in these scenarios, and this has been an issue his whole career. It does nothing to help our pitchers pitch counts. This seems like it should be correctable - either the pitcher needs to shake him off or the coaching staff needs to intervene and give him the call from the dugout in these situations.

He's here to hit LHP. He's batting .217 against LHP. Delmon Young was hitting .310 against LHP when the O's got rid of him.

I'm busting out laughing right now.

Delmon Young was hitting .310/.317/.328 good for a .644 OPS. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=youngde03&year=2015&t=b

He was so great. Way to cherry pick that stat. All who fell for that. SMH

Delmon Young was hitting .310/.317/.328 good for a .644 OPS. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=youngde03&year=2015&t=b

Of course, the fact that they didn't need another bat on the bench to face LHP didn't play a role either. :):):)

I wasn't cherry picking anything. I guess you failed to notice I didn't bring up Delmond Young. But by all means, laugh away.

And of course, you didn't mention the fact Reimold OPS against LH is .616. Convenient.

I've got no problem with Reimold. He's been in a bit of a slump in the last five weeks or so, but of course, his playing time is a bit sporadic and I expect he'll heat up again at some point. His overall numbers are pretty closely in line with his career numbers.

Matt Wieters needs to work on his pitch sequencing, and where he sets up behind the plate. This is one one facet of catching where Joseph is much better than Wieters, IMO. These prolonged battles with hitters where our pitchers are throwing nothing but fastballs seem to happen way too often with our pitching staff. Wieters calls for the fastball far too often in these scenarios, and this has been an issue his whole career. It does nothing to help our pitchers pitch counts. This seems like it should be correctable - either the pitcher needs to shake him off or the coaching staff needs to intervene and give him the call from the dugout in these situations.

He doesn't seem to always recognize how a hitter is reacting to pitches. Like last night, Wilson kept fouling off outer edge fastballs, so call for one or two inside fastballs. Then to Choo, who couldn't catch up to the heat, he called a curve, and Gausman threw a hanger that was smacked for the go-ahead two run double. Sure, if Gausman locates the pitch better, maybe the result is different, but 1) a curve speeds up the bat, and 2) Gausman does not have good control of his offspeed pitches.

What is Nolan doing in his SSS? No one fell for it. It was a legitimate stat. Had Nolan hit a single last night, the Orioles would have won. I am glad we no longer have Delmon and will be glad when Nolan is gone.

I wasn't cherry picking anything. I guess you failed to notice I didn't bring up Delmond Young. But by all means, laugh away.

This is his cherry picked Nolan comparison.

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+

vs LHP 25 53 48 5 10 3 0 1 4 0 0 5 17 .208 .283 .333 .616 16 3 0 0 0 0 1 .300 62 68

What is Nolan doing in his SSS? No one fell for it. It was a legitimate stat. Had Nolan hit a single last night, the Orioles would have won. I am glad we no longer have Delmon and will be glad when Nolan is gone.

And yet his WAR is three times that of Rickard.

Wouldn't folks efforts be better used wishing ill against Rickard?

I will say good on Rickard for pulling his value above replacement level now that Buck is platooning him.

The guy on pace to exceed a 1 win season who is making a bit over a million isn't the problem with this team.

But by all means keep being biased based off of one at bat.

Who in the organization would you replace him with? He's the extra RH bat off the bench.

And yet his WAR is three times that of Rickard.

Wouldn't folks efforts be better used wishing ill against Rickard?

I will say good on Rickard for pulling his value above replacement level now that Buck is platooning him.

The guy on pace to exceed a 1 win season who is making a bit over a million isn't the problem with this team.

But by all means keep being biased based off of one at bat.

Rickard has a .910 OPS vs LHP. An argument could be made his WAR was hurt because he was overused. Meanwhile Reimold has an OPS of .616 vs LHP, and vs RHP of .894. I know Nolan does not have many at bats.

Considering the fact that Alvarez and Kim sit vs LHP, a platoon player who hits welll vs LHP is more important on this team.

Archived