Anyone care to speculate why Sharlon Schoop has been brought to Baltimore?

accinfo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a little perplexed by this move unless some infielder is about to be traded. The only other thing is that someone is hurt like Flaherty. Other then that why would they call up another infielder?

In case someone gets hurt today. He is there. With Manny still suspended tomorrow.

I am a little perplexed by this move unless some infielder is about to be traded. The only other thing is that someone is hurt like Flaherty. Other then that why would they call up another infielder?

He has not been added to the 40 man or 24 man roster.

Maybe they are just going to release Janish. He has looked pretty pedestrian at 3B IMO. Maybe they think BBS (Big Brother Schoop) is a better defensive 3B.

It's clear that Manny is the backup shortstop when available, so it would make sense to have a backup infielder to be a better 3B. That's my guess at least.

The timing is odd though for sure, with Manny being suspended and all, and us already having a bunch of infielders on the roster.

No flippin idea.

I was just looking at his stats after reading a dumpster fire of a thread and I don't see how he should ever sniff a 25 man roster.

He's 29 and has a 653 career OPS in the minors.

Doesn't hit for power and has a 4.5/1 K/BB ratio in AAA this season.

Maybe its a just a goodwill gesture to Johnny Baseball, to have his brother up for 2 days.

Like Corn said, I don't see him ever added to the 25 man roster, in a normal situation.

He has not been added to the roster. He is a Taxi player.

I saw the Tides game last Friday and I had to say I was impressed with Sharlon. His stats may not bare out but he was one of the few players who was engaged in what he had to do in every at bat. He played good defense, took a walk, hit a sacrifice and generally looked fundamental tally sound.

In case someone gets hurt today. He is there. With Manny still suspended tomorrow.

Since when does a player get called to the team to hang around in case somebody gets hurt? If somebody gets hurt tonight, he would still need to be added to the roster and wouldn't be eligible to play until tomorrow. Why not just add him after the injury? Plus we have Janish and Pedro.

Is it possible they are going to DFA Janish and go with a short bench or purchase S. Schoop's contract after the Janish move is made?

He has not been added to the roster. He is a Taxi player.

If you read about it in Roch's blog they seemed to make a big deal of him getting the call in Norfolk which seems a little strange if he is less then likely to be activated. Alvarez and Trumbo can both play third base in a pinch as well. It just seems that something more is up but I may be wrong.

Since when does a player get called to the team to hang around in case somebody gets hurt? If somebody gets hurt tonight, he would still need to be added to the roster and wouldn't be eligible to play until tomorrow. Why not just add him after the injury? Plus we have Janish and Pedro.

Is it possible they are going to DFA Janish and go with a short bench or purchase S. Schoop's contract after the Janish move is made?

Possible. When do you play with a 24 man roster also? Norfolk is too far away. So they brought him. Unless Hardy hurt himself running.

Here is my guess.

June 24th, LHP Matt Moore, Rays

June 26th, LHP Drew Smyly, Rays

June 29th, LHP Christian Friedrich, Padres

July 2nd, LHP James Paxton, Mariners

Sharlon Schoop is hitting 290/313/484/796 vs lefties.

Sharlon is a UIF but probably sees action as a DH with Pedro sitting vs lefties. No they are not going to DFA Reimold. He will play leftfield for Kim vs lefties.

When Manny comes back Janish is DFA'd, hopefully to Norfolk.

Flaherty as an option an will not play vs lefties is my guess. He has hit Moore or Smyly. Sharlon will be the UIF and DH vs lefties while the O's face a series of lefthanded starters.

Hale or Urrutia can be DFA'd off the 40 man roster to make room.

JMG.

Here is my guess.

June 24th, LHP Matt Moore, Rays

June 26th, LHP Drew Smyly, Rays

June 29th, LHP Christian Friedrich, Padres

July 2nd, LHP James Paxton, Mariners

Sharlon Schoop is hitting 290/313/484/796 vs lefties.

Sharlon is a UIF but probably sees action as a DH with Pedro sitting vs lefties. No they are not going to DFA Reimold. He will play leftfield for Kim vs lefties.

When Manny comes back Janish is DFA'd, hopefully to Norfolk.

Flaherty as an option an will not play vs lefties is my guess. Sharlon will be the UIF and DH vs lefties while the O's face a series of lefthanded starters.

Hale or Urrutia can be DFA'd off the 40 man roster to make room.

JMG.

Oh? Why not Rickard against the lefties?

If you read about it in Roch's blog they seemed to make a big deal of him getting the call in Norfolk which seems a little strange if he is less then likely to be activated. Alvarez and Trumbo can both play third base in a pinch as well. It just seems that something more is up but I may be wrong.

Yep. It is a big deal for him. Just be there. He is in no way ever going to play in the MLB another time. If he is added, I would suspect a Reimold or Janish DFA.

Archived