What Happened To Buck in the 7th Inning Tonight?

section18

6 - 3 lead in the seventh and Givens comes in to pitch. He clearly doesn't have it and gives up I believe 4 straight hits and two walks a wild pitch to tie the game. A game Tyler Wilson deserved to win and Buck finally comes out to get him. Why so long? They showed him in the dugout and he just sat there like we had a 10-3 lead. This isn't normal for Buck and I almost never criticize him but tonight he slept through the inning and cost us the lead as Drake came in and he threw another wild pitch to let the runner score the lead run from 3rd he inherited. Givens was charged with all four runs in that inning that gave the Padres a 7-6 lead. Everybody in our division lost tonight and we are missing a chance to gain ground on everybody. Hopefully we can come from behind to win in the eight or ninth.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck didn't want to burn Brach or Britton in the 7th, Duensing not available, Ubaldo stinks, Bundy not available, Drake just called up from AAA, Despaigne could be starting or relieving tomorrow. There was no good option there and 9 times out of 10 Givens bounces back even after struggling with the first couple of batters. O's were still in the lead when Givens was taken out.

Givens has allowed 5.2 walks per 9 IP as a reliever. Those are Kevin Gregg-like walk rates. What the hell is he doing in the big leagues?

I don't understand what has happened to him. Last year he was lights out. Lefties and righties couldn't touch him.

Givens had nothing. Buck should have taken him out to cut the bleeding in time. It's what makes Bucks good and bad. His loyalty towards players and giving them too many chances to clean their mess endears them toward him. But it also blows games in situations that are obvious in need for a pitching change. It's a double edged sword.

Buck didn't want to burn Brach or Britton in the 7th, Duensing not available, Ubaldo stinks, Bundy not available, Drake just called up from AAA, Despaigne could be starting or relieving tomorrow. There was no good option there and 9 times out of 10 Givens bounces back even after struggling with the first couple of batters. O's were still in the lead when Givens was taken out.

That's the reason, but I do think he waited too long to go to Drake on a night when Givens clearly didn't have it.

One of the most disheartening losses of the season and the loss of Machado loomed large in many ways. Next time you applaud Manny charging the mound remember that.

What does Manny have to do with Givens pitching awful?

Rodney pitches different in 9th if it is a one run game.

Guys, guys, guys. Chill. I figured out what happened.

Buck was ready to pull Givens after he gave up two consecutive hits, but he is actually a sloth from Zootopia. Don't blame him for his place in the animal kingdom! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived