What Happened To Buck in the 7th Inning Tonight?

section18

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gausman's somewhat disappointing Monday's performance had a great impact on last night's outcome. Gausman has to avoid those 7+ pitches to a batter, he needs an out pitch and seems obsessed with that rolling curve. I also believe Manny's absence caused the L on Monday. Pretty likely that he would had contributed a couple runs in some form.

I think Buck and Wallace script out all the what ifs well before the game(s) are played and are not particularly likely to alter the script. They were in position to take Monday's and Tuesday's game. They failed at both. Now, they are forced to use UJ in a game they were welling to pretty much role the dice on if they had been successful on Monday and Tuesday. It's too bad, instead of being on a 3 game winning streak at this, it has a pretty good chance of ending on a 3 game losing streak. UJ has to keep these guys off the bases, they will run wild on him. It could get pretty ugly.

6 - 3 lead in the seventh and Givens comes in to pitch. He clearly doesn't have it and gives up I believe 4 straight hits and two walks a wild pitch to tie the game. A game Tyler Wilson deserved to win and Buck finally comes out to get him. Why so long? They showed him in the dugout and he just sat there like we had a 10-3 lead. This isn't normal for Buck and I almost never criticize him but tonight he slept through the inning and cost us the lead as Drake came in and he threw another wild pitch to let the runner score the lead run from 3rd he inherited. Givens was charged with all four runs in that inning that gave the Padres a 7-6 lead. Everybody in our division lost tonight and we are missing a chance to gain ground on everybody. Hopefully we can come from behind to win in the eight or ninth.

I don't know, if Buck has one fault he'll let a guy out there who's obviously in trouble too long to protect his pen. Givens can't be trusted with LH hitters any more they are pounding him. Buck just can't yank him after two hits if anything he might have let the fire go one batter too long?

We used 5 relievers tonight. Drake went 2 IP. Givens threw a ton of pitches. Right now we have no SP for tomorrow's game and only Brach is "fresh". Might be a short stay for Drake just so we can shuttle up another fresh arm. The crappyness of the rotation is finally affecting the pen. It took awhile to their credit.

Yep I said the SP will eventually take it's toll on the BP and it is. :(

Buck has his reasons, but this is his MO. If he has a quick hook on the bullpen, that has big reverberations. It's not a one night thing. It's a "get x pitcher warming" about 50 times a year. We might not like it, but Buck's unwillingness to do that is actually good for our pen, though not for a given game.

I was at the game on Sunday when Britton couldn't find the plate. The guy behind me was yelling to yank Britton before anyone was even warming in the bullpen. He stuck with Britton and it paid off, but that easily could have gone south too because Zach clearly didn't have his feel. These things happen in a 162 game season.

Buck has his reasons, but this is his MO. If he has a quick hook on the bullpen, that has big reverberations. It's not a one night thing. It's a "get x pitcher warming" about 50 times a year. We might not like it, but Buck's unwillingness to do that is actually good for our pen, though not for a given game.

I was at the game on Sunday when Britton couldn't find the plate. The guy behind me was yelling to yank Britton before anyone was even warming in the bullpen. He stuck with Britton and it paid off, but that easily could have gone south too because Zach clearly didn't have his feel. These things happen in a 162 game season.

Nice post, and Buck didn't have a lot of options last night, either.

I thought it was strange. Drake was warming up, the O's up three, and they bring in Givens instead but end up going to Givens down one anyway. I would have thought the time for Drake to make his debut would have been a three run game (less pressure) and then if he gets in trouble bring in Givens the more experienced guy with a tighter game but it ended up being the opposite. Drake did well but a little bit of a head scratcher for me and if since Drake did do well maybe things end up differently if he started the seventh.

I thought it was strange. Drake was warming up, the O's up three, and they bring in Givens instead but end up going to Givens down one anyway. I would have thought the time for Drake to make his debut would have been a three run game (less pressure) and then if he gets in trouble bring in Givens the more experienced guy with a tighter game but it ended up being the opposite. Drake did well but a little bit of a head scratcher for me and if since Drake did do well maybe things end up differently if he started the seventh.
I wondered about this as well.

Ubaldo bash Fest is alive and well this morning. He's bashed when didnt pitch

last night. The bashing of Jimenez is getting ridiculous. The man wears the black

and Orange. I will support him.

Jimenez is definitely hurting this team by being on the roster in any capacity due to the banged up/overused bullpen. They can't afford to have completely ineffective relievers on the team.

Worley, O'Day....hurry back. Please.

Jimenez is definitely hurting this team by being on the roster in any capacity due to the banged up/overused bullpen. They can't afford to have completely ineffective relievers on the team.

Worley, O'Day....hurry back. Please.

So you think Ubaldo should simply resign, and forfeit the remainder of his salary for the good of the team? :rolleyestf: Other wise how is it on him?

I'm not shy about criticizing Buck's handling of the bullpen but I don't fault him for last night. Givens has been a reliable righty-killer this season and the 7th is his inning. It made perfect sense to go to Givens and to give him a lot of rope. He just didn't get the job done.

I'm not shy about criticizing Buck's handling of the bullpen but I don't fault him for last night. Givens has been a reliable righty-killer this season and the 7th is his inning. It made perfect sense to go to Givens and to give him a lot of rope. He just didn't get the job done.

Yes one GB and it's a different inning.

Not DFA'ing Ubaldo is on DD. Hiding him in the pen has had a snowball affect.

I agree. I'm hoping that he has a great game tonight, but if he's terrible again, I don't see how they can keep him on the roster.

They need to either DL him or release him.

Archived