Recent bullpen woes

Frobby

From Melewski:

The Orioles bullpen allowed seven runs in three innings last night in the loss to San Diego. The O's bullpen has allowed five runs or more four times in the last 10 games after doing that just two times in the first 60 games. Over those last 10 games, the O's 'pen has an ERA of 5.92.

The bullpen ERA was 2.74 on June 3 when right-hander Darren O?Day went on the disabled list. The bullpen ERA since that time is 4.37. Mychal Givens has allowed eight runs over his last four games and 3 1/3 innings.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/06/os-notes-on-bouncing-back-jonathan-schoop-the-bullpen-and-more.html

As I posted in another thread, I do think O'Day's absence is being felt. We've had to lean very heavily on Brach and Givens to pitch a lot of innings, and just generally haven't had the same flexibility we have with O'Day in the mix. Worley's absence isn't helping either.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From Melewski:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/06/os-notes-on-bouncing-back-jonathan-schoop-the-bullpen-and-more.html

As I posted in another thread, I do think O'Day's absence is being felt. We've had to lean very heavily on Brach and Givens to pitch a lot of innings, and just generally haven't had the same flexibility we have with O'Day in the mix. Worley's absence isn't helping either.

Buck indicated that the team's travel schedule probably wore on the players(pitchers) some. They didn't get back from Texas until 4 am. Buck reminds us that these guys are human. He also said he could not pitch Brach last night.

Yep. Givens velocity was down and his ability to locate wasn't there. I started to gripe, and then I thought about who was unavailable, hurt, and being held back with a very questionable starter going today. I have seen some question going to the pen when they did, and I didn't see Wilson's last inning, so I can't comment other than to say his first five innings were a struggle, too.

Well after Brach and Britton things are sketchy for tonight. CD better get warmed up. And JJ better dust off his knuckler. Or maybe Buck says to Ubaldo, "You're throwing 100 pitches I don't care what the scoreboard says."

From Melewski:

You gotta place some of this on the SP and it's starting to have and effect on the BP. You can't keep running out starters for 3 or 4 inning starts and not expect wear and tear on the BP. Add the injury to O'Day and yep it's a recipe for ugly losses.

Yep. Givens velocity was down and his ability to locate wasn't there. I started to gripe, and then I thought about who was unavailable, hurt, and being held back with a very questionable starter going today. I have seen some question going to the pen when they did, and I didn't see Wilson's last inning, so I can't comment other than to say his first five innings were a struggle, too.

Givens is also a very young rookie pitcher, and he is going to have his moments.

Orioles' IP per start (league average in parentheses):

2014: 5.89 (5.93)

2015: 5.65 (5.84)

2016: 5.46 (5.75)

Not a good trend. The league average has been dropping, but ours has been dropping twice as fast. And in June, our starters are averaging 5.13 IP/start. That's a lot of pressure on the bullpen.

Saying that the bullpen has been struggling since O'day got hurt is pretty misleading. Two performances skew the data;

Ubaldo 6/17 2.1 IP 5 ER

Givens 6/21 0 IP 4 ER

The bullpen has been pretty good/great with O'day out. This is a side effect of not eating Ubaldo's contract and DFA'ing him. He's basically a mop up guy when he's in the pen. Drake should have been up here a week ago and Roe/Beato should have been up last night. Instead Givens and Brach are pitching in every close game and unavailable. Last night was a result of a terrible rotation and how it taxes your pen and guys aren't available.

Who is available tonight?

Brach

Britton-pitched last night

Despaigne-pitched last night

Givens is also a very young rookie pitcher, and he is going to have his moments.

Absolutely. To me, though, he simply looked like despite his desire, it physically wasn't there. The first couple fastballs were low 90s instead of mid 90's - 3 mph below his average fastball. Normally, I think Buck sees the fatigue/having an off night and pulls him quicker...but his options were few.

Saying that the bullpen has been struggling since O'day got hurt is pretty misleading. Two performances skew the data;

Ubaldo 6/17 2.1 IP 5 ER

Givens 6/21 0 IP 4 ER

The bullpen has been pretty good/great with O'day out. This is a side effect of not eating Ubaldo's contract and DFA'ing him. He's basically a mop up guy when he's in the pen. Drake should have been up here a week ago and Roe/Beato should have been up last night. Instead Givens and Brach are pitching in every close game and unavailable. Last night was a result of a terrible rotation and how it taxes your pen and guys aren't available.

Brach

Mike Wright also

Ubaldo 6/17 2.1 IP 5 ER

Givens 6/21 0 IP 4 ER

Brach

I'm not so sure it's misleading. Aside from Brach and Britton, the rest of the bullpen is not performing well. McFarland stunk, Duensing stunk, Givens stunk. Bundy has been pitching well as of late, but he's been allowing a lot of baserunners up to very recently.

Givens last 7 games: .259/.412/.444 - .856 OPS, 7 walks, 7 hits in only 7 innings pitched. 1 of which was a homer. Line drive percentage is 43%. 9 strikeouts.

Prior to that, in 26 2/3 IP he walked 12. That's obviously not a good number either, but Givens is trending in the wrong direction.

Saying that the bullpen has been struggling since O'day got hurt is pretty misleading. Two performances skew the data/

In June (omitting Ubaldo's one relief appearance):

Duensing 5.40 ERA (7 appearances, 6.2 IP)

McFarland 5.87 (5 appearances, 7.2 IP)

Givens 6.97 (8 appearances, 10.1 IP)

Givens has had a mix of good and bad outings in June.

Archived