O's record per starter

wildcard

Understand that, but the run support hasn't been there either for the most part, at least until his last start where he couldn't hold the lead. He's been struggling a bit his last few starts, no doubt. I'm just saying that's a heavy contributing factor to the team's record in games that he's started.

Of the 8 games we've lost with Gausman on the mound, I'd say he pitched poorly in 5:

3 IP 6 R

6 IP 5 R

5 IP 4 R

5 IP 4 R

5 IP 4 R

In two others he pitched decently:

6 IP 3 R

6.1 IP 3 R (2 ER)

In one he pitched well but had an early exit:

5 IP 1 R

He pitched pretty well to very well in the four games the team won, but where he got no-decisioned:

6 IP 3 R

6.2 IP 1 R

6 IP 1 R

8 IP 0 R

With decent run support the team is probably 6-6 instead of 4-8 in his starts, and he probably has a few wins to his credit. Still, a 4.37 ERA is nothing to write home about. That's a league average starter.

I really don't think the O's know what they have yet as far as the rotation goes. I know that is kind of weird with the season almost half over but Buck and Dan have made adjustments and they haven't taking effect yet.

Tillman is pitching well and I expect he will have a good year. Wilson is showing he can pitch in the majors and I think he will be somewhere in the low 4.00's ERA wise. Gausman is a mystery. He should do better but there is certainly no guarantee. I think Gallardo will give the O's a boost over what they had in the first half. The fifth starter is up in the air but there are a lot of options. Ubaldo/Worley/Despaigne/Gunkel. Any one of them may step up or maybe none of them will.

Buck gives guys chances in the first half. In the second half his leash is shorter and he goes for results.

Dan seems to think he can find a starter on the trade market that is better than what the O's have. I'm not at all sure of that. Its a hard thing to do when everyone that is playoff bound wants a pitching upgrade.

I really don't think the O's know what they have yet as far as the rotation goes. I know that is kind of weird with the season almost half over but Buck and Dan have made adjustments and they haven't taking effect yet.

Tillman is pitching well and I expect he will have a good year. Wilson is showing he can pitch in the majors and I think he will be somewhere in the low 4.00's ERA wise. Gausman is a mystery. He should do better but there is certainly no guarantee. I think Gallardo will give the O's a boost over what they had in the first half. The fifth starter is up in the air but there are a lot of options. Ubaldo/Worley/Despaigne/Gunkel. Any one of them may step up or maybe none of them will.

Buck gives guys chances in the first half. In the second half his leash is shorter and he goes for results.

Dan seems to think he can find a starter on the trade market that is better than what the O's have. I'm not at all sure of that. Its a hard thing to do when everyone that is playoff bound wants a pitching upgrade.

I think so, too.

I think that we have at least 3 mysteries in the rotation right now ...... Gausman, Wilson and Gallardo. I think that oustide of Tillman, it's really difficult to gauge what we have and give a reasonable prediction of what we'll get from them over the remaining 91 games of the season.

This is how I view what we have right now:

TILLMAN: Good

WILSON: Mystery

GAUSMAN: Mystery

GALLARDO: Mystery (mostly due to how little we know as to what shape his shoulder is in.)

JIMENEZ: Bad (although I am grateful that we were able to somehow squeeze a decent outing out of him last night.)

I also believe that Despaigne and Worley will be at least serviceable in starting rolls (should it come to that) and/or long-relief roles.

I think so, too.

I think that we have at least 3 mysteries in the rotation right now ...... Gausman, Wilson and Gallardo. I think that oustide of Tillman, it's really difficult to gauge what we have and give a reasonable prediction of what we'll get from them over the remaining 91 games of the season.

This is how I view what we have right now:

TILLMAN: Good

WILSON: Mystery

GAUSMAN: Mystery

GALLARDO: Mystery (mostly due to how little we know as to what shape his shoulder is in.)

JIMENEZ: Bad (although I am grateful that we were able to somehow squeeze a decent outing out of him last night.)

I also believe that Despaigne and Worley will be at least serviceable in starting rolls (should it come to that) and/or long-relief roles.

It seems that the first 4 starters are set (not necessarily in this order): Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo, Wilson. It's the 5th starter that's currently up in the air. Complicating this picture is that (according to Buck), the O's will only need a 5th starter twice between now and the All Star break. After the All Star break, the O's will need a 5th starter only occasionally. So the 5th starter will spend time in the bullpen as a long reliever.

The candidates for 5th starter are: Ubaldo, Despaigne, Worley, possibly Mike Wright. Buck isn't yet sure which of these will be in the 5th starter spot. Any ideas?

Run support.

Orioles Runs/9 Innings While in the Game to Date:

Yovani Gallardo 6.65

Tyler Wilson 5.54

Chris Tillman 5.35

Mike Wright 4.98

Ubaldo Jimenez 4.35

Kevin Gausman 2.91

My balls !!! You're kicking me in my balls !!!

Sincerely,

Kevin John Gausman

O's Runs/9 While in the Game to Date

Yovani Gallardo 6.65

Tyler Wilson 5.54

Chris Tillman 5.35

Mike Wright 4.98

Ubaldo Jimenez 4.35

Kevin Gausman 2.91

I see the WILL TO WIN stat is missing here. Gausman just doesn't lead the troops well enough so they don't score for him. He's a cross between Matusz and Guthrie, but with worse intangibles. We should trade him to the Cubs for a short term low impact rental ASAP.

I see the WILL TO WIN stat is missing here. Gausman just doesn't lead the troops well enough so they don't score for him. He's a cross between Matusz and Guthrie, but with worse intangibles. We should trade him to the Cubs for a short term low impact rental ASAP.

I'd settle for him pitching well in a game where he does get some run support. Obviously he can't do anything about the games where he pitches 8 shutout innings and the Orioles don't score, which happened to him on May 5 in a game we eventually won and where he deserves a huge amount of credit even if he didn't get a "W." But I'd like to avoid games like May 15 when he was staked to a 3-1 lead after one inning and then coughed up another 4 runs in the next four innings, or June 10 when the O's came from down 2-0 to go ahead 3-2 and he immediately coughed it up, or June 20 when he was staked to a 3-0 lead and coughed up 4 runs in the next three innings.

Lack of run support was a big part of the reason he didn't win any games in his first several outings this year, but he hasn't pitched well recently and he needs to get it turned around.

I'd settle for him pitching well in a game where he does get some run support. Obviously he can't do anything about the games where he pitches 8 shutout innings and the Orioles don't score, which happened to him on May 5 in a game we eventually won and where he deserves a huge amount of credit even if he didn't get a "W." But I'd like to avoid games like May 15 when he was staked to a 3-1 lead after one inning and then coughed up another 4 runs in the next four innings, or June 10 when the O's came from down 2-0 to go ahead 3-2 and he immediately coughed it up, or June 20 when he was staked to a 3-0 lead and coughed up 4 runs in the next three innings.

Lack of run support was a big part of the reason he didn't win any games in his first several outings this year, but he hasn't pitched well recently and he needs to get it turned around.

I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. Just that the teams overall w-l record in all of his starts, is due in part to lack of run support. It's also due in part to, as you say, him not pitching well in his last several starts.

Archived