question about designated players - inspired by Janish

Hallas

So I read that Janish accepted his minor league assignment, because his contract terms meant that he wasn't doing too bad financially by accepting the deal.

This had me wondering: is it legal to induce someone to accept your assignment by offering, say, a one-time bonus? Say, $100K to accept the assignment?

So I read that Janish accepted his minor league assignment, because his contract terms meant that he wasn't doing too bad financially by accepting the deal.

This had me wondering: is it legal to induce someone to accept your assignment by offering, say, a one-time bonus? Say, $100K to accept the assignment?

What usually is done with players like Janish (servicable replacement but not a full time roster substitute) is the agreed on contract has wording/incentive to have accept an assignment if he clears waivers. Usually it is a higher base salary than most MiLB players. It also tends to be more than a player would get if he opted to go for free agency instead of accepting the assignment. By not having anyone claim him off the waiver wire showed him and his agent that there was little or no interest in his service at the MLB Level from the othe twenty-nine teams. His MiLB contract was worth more to him to stay than to sign with another team at a lower rate..

Janish signed a minor league contract. Its probably a high salary for the minors. He probably gets paid at the rate of 400k per season while in the minors.

When his contract was purchase he is now on a major league contract. It probably pays at the rate of at least 800k for the season.

When he was sent down because the has been outrighted before he continues to be paid at he major league rate for the rest of the year. Because he has 5 years of major league salary he could have refused the assignment and joined any teams minor league system and the O's would still have had to pay him his major league salary for this rest of the season. He decided to stay with the O's because he knows the O's offer him the best chance to get back to the majors.

Cots doesn't tell us how much Janish makes but Chaz Roe was outrighted this spring. He has been outrighted before also. He accepted the assignment and he is being paid his major league salary of 720K in the minors. Phillips is getting 510k for the same reason.

I think its a good bet that Janish major league salary is more than Roe or Phillips.

Archived