Best non-signing of the past decade

terpfan101

While reading an article on A-Rod which mentioned Mark Teixiera, it got me thinking how we dodged a bullet by not signing him many years ago. I remember back that offseason the constant checking of news to see where he was with regards to a deal and when the offer to him wasn't good enough was so frustrated with the Orioles FO and Angelos. Well with hindsight obviously this non-signing turned out to be great. Mark had an excellent first year with the MFY followed by 3 solid years, an injury missed 2013, poor 2014, solid 2015 (albeit shortened), and a dreadful 2016 so far for his final season under that contract. Not only that but his best years were prior to 2012 and only really would have been of help in 2012.

So other than that deal a few others I thought where the fans on OH and media had a lot of talk about the potential for the Orioles to sign the player but in hindsight look like we escaped a bad deal include:

1) Prince Fielder - 9 years$214M (see Baltimore Sun)

2) Carlos Lee 6 years/$100M (OH #1, OH #2)

3) Justin Upton (last offseason): 6 years/$133M

4) Shin-Soo Choo 7 years/$130M Camden Chat

5) Grant Balfour 2 years/$12.5M (the whole medical issue saga) OH

6) Nick Swisher 4 years/$56M OH Thread

7) Michael Bourn 4 years/$48M OH Thread

This doesn't factor in decisions to let O's walk, only a few come to mind (Markakis, Jim Johnson)

So which one is the best we've dodged? Given how serious Tex offer was I'd say that one was the best dodge. Any others I'm missing?

Did we even make an offer to some of these guys?

I just hope Crush doesn't end up in the Teixeira category. As you noted, there's nothing wrong with the first few years of his deal, but the back end hasn't been pretty.

Not sure I would agree about Tex being the best dodge.

8 years in NY, he has 196 HR, 582 RBIs and OPS of .828.

My vote is Prince, what exactly has he done for Texas in 3 years?

I would say Prince singing was great for the Tigers. They got two productive years out of Prince and then traded him for Ian Kinsler. I would say that was the best signing not the worst.

Fielder put up .305/.378/.841 for Texas last year. Those are some pretty respectable numbers. Way too early to call him a bust. I would also say TEX is getting some return on Choo, just not as much as they expected. .375 OBP last year and .400+ this year.

I would put Hamilton up on the list. Lots of people wanted him on the O's. He is out of commission right now with the Angels on the hook for $26M this year and next year, and only put up .740 OPS over a season and a half.

Sandoval 5/$95M. Reyes 6/$106M. Shields 4/75M. BJ Upton 5/$72.5M, Nolasco 4/$49M.

Also in the too early to tell category, but Price has been a huge bust. If he keeps pitching like this, he will easily be the biggest bust at 7/$217M.

Honestly, it is easier to come up with a list of busts than it is free agents who have been worth the money.

o

Joe Girardi, when he turned us down in 2007.

Girardi Rejects Shot at Managing the Orioles

(By Jack Curry)

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E03EED6103FF931A15755C0A9619C8B63

Wow, great call there. I actually think Girardi is a very good manager, and maybe we would have gotten our act together a little sooner if he had taken the job instead of us giving it to Trembley, but I doubt he would have taken us where Buck has.

If I may go back a little further back than 10 years, we made a very serious offer to Carl Pavano in in 2004, and to Richie Sexson in 2005. Both those guys signed for about what we offered them (maybe less), and both stunk.

Archived