How do we fix our starting pitching?

Nevermore

FoxSports has a piece up about Bill James saying a 3 man rotation can work.

This seems like a good fit for the Orioles as we don't have a true ace type (Kershaw) who you want to go 7-9 innings.

I think this what will happen in the playoffs btw.

Basically your 3 starters are limited to 80-90 pitches OR 5 innings, whichever comes first (no pitcher ever goes through a lineup a 3rd time). It actually works out that your top 3 pitchers throw a higher percentage of innings (over 162 games) then they do now.

8 man bullpen. Get as much out of the long men as possible then close it down with your 4 top relievers a the end.

Tillman

Guasman

Gallardo

Bundy

Worley

Jimenez

Wright/Despaigne/TMac/Wilson/etc

O'Day/whomever is up while on DL

Brach

Givens

Britton

The Orioles wouldn't have to make this official policy. Just start doing it slowly and as necessary. It could limit exposure for some of our middling starters.

I think you could even do a rotation with two traditional starters and then the rest mix and match bullpen guys. The key would be more guys with options than the Orioles currently have.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148379-Crazy-Idea-All-Relievers

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You go ahead and tell Tillman he isn't going to be eligible for any more wins during his time with the O's.

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of not letting hitters get a third look at a starter. I've floated similar ideas in the past.

But you are going to have a tough road getting the starters on board.

You might have to be flexible with Tillman. But basically you tell him its a hard 90 pitch limit. So if he wants to go 6+ you better keep your count down.

And be ready to pitch in 3 days.

It would be tough to do this mid season. Starters routine is to get 4 days rest. I wouldn't be super strict about it, its just a template to minimize the damage being done by the back of the rotation.

Okay, pretend that you have just been appointed manager/pitching coach. What would you do to fix the current O's starting rotation?

You don't have a few million or so to trade for Kershaw, Baumgarner, or David Price. You don't have the team personnel even for Rich Hill or Pomeranz or someone similar. You are stuck with Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo, Wilson/Wright/Despaignes/whoever, and Jimenez.

What do you do? Pull all of your hair out? Make them run laps? Make them have extra BP sessions? Have them all write 100 times each, "I will pitch strikes"? Demote them all to the pen and put Britton, Brach, O'Day (when he comes off the DL), Givens, and Worley as your new rotation?

What do you do? :confused::angryfire:

Pitching is poor all around baseball. LOok at these stats:

Total MLB ERA:

2014: 3.74

2015: 3.96

2016: 4.22

I mean almost a half a run a game up in 2 years.

Archived