How do we fix our starting pitching?

Nevermore

Of course, there is no magic fix. You stick with Tillman, Gausman, and Gallardo, whose velocity looked good last night, and hope for the best. Now, how do we address the last two spots?

I think you have to go with Worley in one of those spots and hope you get a good half season as a starter from him, which he has done before. That's one.

As for the other spot, I think we have to release Ubaldo. Top internal canidates would be Mike Wright, Miranda, and even Dylan Bundy, although I don't know how the Orioles can reconcile their self proclaimed innings limit on him and put him in the rotation.

One possibility is to go with 13 pitchers and go with a piggyback approach every 5 days with someone like Bundy + Wright/Miranda/etc. each going 3-4 innings.

This is what I would do. Obviously we're going to have this thing pieced together and just try and get to the ASB. But coming out of the ASB I would have this.

Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo, Bundy, Wright

Britton, O'day (praying), Brach, Givens, Worley, Wilson, Miranda

From what I've seen that is our best 12 and in their best role. Ubaldo needs to get DFA'd. He's useless out of the pen because he's inconsistent and can't pitch often. Wright and Wilson have to be up here, we don't have the luxury of having them starting in AAA. Miranda looks like he can get LH's out. Worley and Wilson are valuable as that 4th'-6th inning guys.

Do this till the trade deadline and you have to trade for a SP to replace at least Bundy and probably Wright.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bury Jubaldo in the pen. If we cut him, he's guaranteed to be lights out for Boston or Toronto. I like adding Bundy as a 5th starter with a 4 inning / 70 pitch count. Which leaves a spot. You go with the troubled youngster with he highest upside and pray for the best, Mike Wright

i tell DD no trades and give him some more resources to scour the international market

You can't bury someone in the pen, because our starting pitching is bad. Everyone in the pen has to pull his weight too. Especially if we go with something like 4 inning starts for Bundy.

If Ubaldo is on the team, he is going to have to pitch medium-to-high leverage innings. Because there just aren't very many low leverage innings.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I just thought of something while going through all of these answers.

It sounds crazy, but if DD is in a buying mood, he should look for a really solid hitter or two in order to shore up our offense. Then maybe they can overcome our rotation. I'm not necessarily proposing this as a solution, I'm just putting this out.

What hitters are available that would significantly improve our already offense?

And how much would it cost to get them?

My guess would be "not many" and "too much".

Spending any assets to marginally improve an already strong offense while doing nothing to improve the glaring pitching deficiencies is a worse idea than any other, even worse than trading the farm for Scott Feldman!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tillman

Gausman

Gallardo

Worley

Feldman/Bundy

Certainly not very good but I believe something like this is our best bet. We talked about Worley in the off-season... He has had a fair amount of success as a starter. He can be an average SP for us. I believe Gallardo can be average too. (Especially hitting 92 on the gun.)

For #5 I think we could get a Feldman type for nothing and maybe give him 10 starts or so plus 4-5 for Bundy. I really think this is an economical solution to generate average stats.

Like I said in my Optimist's View thread back in March, if we can somehow get league-average performance from the rotation (and something close to league-average OBP), the rest of the team is championship caliber - manager, bullpen, intangibles, power, defense.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Updated: after another quality start, Jeremy Hellickson (1 ER in 6 innings today) has a 2.71 ERA in 10 of his last 11 starts.</p>— Ryan Lawrence (@ryanlawrence21) <a href="

">July 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would send Ubaldo to the pen and use him for mop-up duty...either when we are way up or way down.

I would promote Chris Lee from Bowie to give us a lefty in the rotation. And let Worley be the number 4 until August then I would let Bundy take over that role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the game today, there was some talk about Buck saying that Bundy could be a starter sooner rather than later. I took that to mean Bundy may be starting at some point later this year. I can't wait to see that. :smile11:

You fix it by not trading pitching prospects for marginal gains, not forfeiting or selling draft picks and investing in international free agents.

Of course fixing it that way takes years.

Apparently, Dan doesn't want to wait. Here's to next year's Jimenez or Gallardo. :mad:

Archived