How do we fix our starting pitching?

Nevermore

Okay, pretend that you have just been appointed manager/pitching coach. What would you do to fix the current O's starting rotation?

You don't have a few million or so to trade for Kershaw, Baumgarner, or David Price. You don't have the team personnel even for Rich Hill or Pomeranz or someone similar. You are stuck with Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo, Wilson/Wright/Despaignes/whoever, and Jimenez.

What do you do? Pull all of your hair out? Make them run laps? Make them have extra BP sessions? Have them all write 100 times each, "I will pitch strikes"? Demote them all to the pen and put Britton, Brach, O'Day (when he comes off the DL), Givens, and Worley as your new rotation?

What do you do? :confused::angryfire:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no fix. No magic wand. The good starters have to actually be good every time. No margin of error. No room for mediocrity or anything close to it.

The bad starters have to get consistent and fast. We know what they are but they need to get above that somehow.

We are in a real bad spot with pitching that doesn't figure to get better. And the available pie in sky solutions are underwhelming and we can't even afford them anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no fix. No magic wand. The good starters have to actually be good every time. No margin of error. No room for mediocrity or anything close to it.

The bad starters have to get consistent and fast. We know what they are but they need to get above that somehow.

We are in a real bad spot with pitching that doesn't figure to get better. And the available pie in sky solutions are underwhelming and we can't even afford them anyway.

This. Maybe put Bundy in the rotation after the All-Star break and pray his arm holds up. Even if he, Tillman, and Gausman are decent there are still two black holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think there are really four options:

A. Leave it as is and hope they can turn it around, including guys like Wilson and Wright in the minors

B. Sell the "farm" for a good pitcher and go for it this year, future be damned

C. Sell some middling prospect for some middling pitcher and hope to catch lightning in a bottle

D. Sell it all and play for 2018/2019

I think there are really four options:

A. Leave it as is and hope they can turn it around' date=' including guys like Wilson and Wright in the minors

B. Sell the "farm" for a good pitcher and go for it this year, future be damned

C. Sell some middling prospect for some middling pitcher and hope to catch lightning in a bottle

D. Sell it all and play for 2018/2019[/quote']

I think it is too late for D. The die has been cast.

:agree:

There isn't a whole lot that can be done. In the Bundy trade thread, I said we need at least2, and a case for 3 pitchers can be made. These last 5 games have not done anything to prove otherwise.

In the short term, I would try and trade some of the minor and major league pieces of excess for any starter especially if they are under control/contract for next year. This team should have enough offense to be able to absorb moving a player for a pitcher.

You fix it by not trading pitching prospects for marginal gains, not forfeiting or selling draft picks and investing in international free agents.

Of course fixing it that way takes years.

This.

We're seeing DD's mistakes as it concerns the handling of the farm system. There is no way to "fix" that in a few weeks.

I posted this in the game thread. The Orioles either need to put Bundy in the rotation or become sellers at the deadline. Because I don't see a viable solution to the SP problem that doesn't involve Bundy being in the rotation.

Archived