How do we fix our starting pitching?

Nevermore

Of course, there is no magic fix. You stick with Tillman, Gausman, and Gallardo, whose velocity looked good last night, and hope for the best. Now, how do we address the last two spots?

I think you have to go with Worley in one of those spots and hope you get a good half season as a starter from him, which he has done before. That's one.

As for the other spot, I think we have to release Ubaldo. Top internal canidates would be Mike Wright, Miranda, and even Dylan Bundy, although I don't know how the Orioles can reconcile their self proclaimed innings limit on him and put him in the rotation.

One possibility is to go with 13 pitchers and go with a piggyback approach every 5 days with someone like Bundy + Wright/Miranda/etc. each going 3-4 innings.

Needless to say I'm in favor, having suggested something similar during the last funk.

I'm afraid it is a bit too out of the box for Buck.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I posted this in the game thread. The Orioles either need to put Bundy in the rotation or become sellers at the deadline. Because I don't see a viable solution to the SP problem that doesn't involve Bundy being in the rotation.

If the O's are within striking distance of the WC Dan isn't going to sell, he is going to buy.

No point in speculating otherwise.

Thought I actually saw Buck comment about Bundy starting on Friday and either using the word "piggyback" or suggesting it in other words. Will try to find.

There is doing it with Bundy, who is a unique case, and doing it with 3/5ths of the rotation.

I think with Gallardo, Wright, Bundy, Vanimal and Wilson we have a nice test bed to experiment with.

Bury Jubaldo in the pen. If we cut him, he's guaranteed to be lights out for Boston or Toronto. I like adding Bundy as a 5th starter with a 4 inning / 70 pitch count. Which leaves a spot. You go with the troubled youngster with he highest upside and pray for the best, Mike Wright

i tell DD no trades and give him some more resources to scour the international market

You fix it by not trading pitching prospects for marginal gains, not forfeiting or selling draft picks and investing in international free agents.

Of course fixing it that way takes years.

I agree with you. Don't trade prospects for a supposed

fix.

I'm for being buyers but that's not the Orioles way. The farm system doesn't have much to offer and taking on loaded contracts is just asking for more trouble (Jiminez).

So it looks like something has to get cobbled together for the rest of the year. If that is the case, we are looking at a really tough second half of the year.

Our SP frequently struggle in the first inning. Something they might try is what they did with Kazmir. He threw his 25 warm up P and then pitched a simulated inning in the pen before his start. He was sharp in the first inning.

Archived