Cody Sedlock (Merged with: Sedlock sold to Tigers in July 2022)

weams

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We've seen this happen now three times with high draft picks that were college relievers for awhile. Dan Klien, Brendan Kline and now Sedlock. Sure it's worth the gamble to have these guys start but the increased stress of starting in pro ball hasn't been good to us. 

Different animals.  Klein was a reliever because he had shoulder issues.  In hindsight the O's don't look at all good for trying to make him a stater when he already had shoulder issues.

Sedlock help up just fine under heavy starter usage his last year of college.  If anything I think his one year as a starter did a lot more harm than anything the O's did.

1 minute ago, birdwatcher55 said:

He has shown me very little since his signing. I hope he avoids TJS but I'm not optimistic he will ever see the Show. Just my opinion.

Almost 90 innings spread over two seasons is certainly enough information to dismiss a guy's future prospects.

He might not be out for the year.  From Melewski on July 10th,

Injury updates: Frederick right-hander Cody Sedlock went on the disabled list July 1 with a right elbow flexor strain. The Orioles’ 2016 first-round draft pick is 4-4 with a 6.46 ERA.

“Cody is doing well,” Graham said. “He is close to throwing a bullpen and he feels great, not one issue. There is no structural issue at all and he’s doing great. It should not be that long (before he gets back into a game).”

His Keys teammate, third baseman Jomar Reyes, has been out since early May after surgery to repair a broken right pinky finger. His cast is off and he’s doing range of motion work, but still no baseball activities. So no timetable has been set at this point for his return.

The Orioles still have not announced a date for right-hander Hunter Harvey to pitch in a game, but it should not be much longer. He recently threw a simulated game and all has gone well in his rehab for Harvey.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/07/flying-under-the-radar-on-the-farm-plus-other-notes.html

Fenter and Leyva are back with the GCL squad.  I couldn't find anything on Branden Kline.  He had his TJ surgery in October of 2015, so he should be ready.  

More from Melewski,

What about the top picks?: The O’s 2017 top draft pick, high school pitcher DL Hall, has begun a throwing program in Florida. Since he has not pitched in a game since his high school season in early May, his first pro game is not imminent. It is at least a week away, maybe more.

July 18 Update:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-prospects-hunter-harvey-cody-sedlock-progressing-from-elbow-issues-20170715-story.html

Right-hander Cody Sedlock, the team’s 2016 first-round draft pick who is on the disabled list at Class-A Frederick with a right elbow strain and hasn’t pitched since June 26, threw a 30-pitch bullpen session Saturday and came through it strong, Showalter said.

“He feels good,” Showalter said. “That was good to hear.”

Sedlock, 22, has a 6.46 ERA in 13 starts for the Keys, with 53 strikeouts in 62 2/3 innings and a 1.66 WHIP.

Right-hander Hunter Harvey, whom Showalter said is likely to make a rehab start July 19 at an undetermined minor league stop, could soon join him in Frederick.

Harvey, the team’s 2013 first-round pick who underwent Tommy John elbow reconstruction surgery last summer, has been throwing simulated games at the club’s training complex in Sarasota, Fla., and hasn’t pitched in a minor league game since July 16 for Short-A Aberdeen.

His elbow problems first developed in July 2014, in the midst of a breakout season for Low-A Delmarva, and he has also dealt with a sports hernia and a fractured leg.

Harvey is expected to pitch some at lower levels before making it to an appropriate competition level.