Cody Sedlock (Merged with: Sedlock sold to Tigers in July 2022)

weams

54 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Terrible drafting by the O’s. Once we fast tracked Gausman, we actually started drafting for low ceiling guys that we though could help the big club in a year or so. So we drafted Stewart and Sedlock. At least we changed course real fast and took Hall and GR. 

You have to factor in that Stewart and Sedlock were drafted 25th and 27th, while Hall and Rodriguez were drafted 21st and 11th.   Maybe a Hall-type would have been available at 25 or 27; Rodriguez, no.  Also, Sedlock ended up having injuries.   We’ll never really know what his upside was, though no doubt not as high as Hall and Rodriguez.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There really wasn’t room for Sedlock on the AAA roster. We need room for actual SP options and taxi relievers. 

And do you think they are already overloaded with those types on the Tides roster?

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Also, Sedlock ended up having injuries.   We’ll never really know what his upside was, though no doubt not as high as Hall and Rodriguez.

Sedlock is one of Keith Law's go to examples for pitcher overuse in college. His last year at Illinois was wild. I believe he threw 130 pitches on short rest after throwing 120 a few days before. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Terrible drafting by the O’s. Once we fast tracked Gausman, we actually started drafting for low ceiling guys that we though could help the big club in a year or so. So we drafted Stewart and Sedlock. At least we changed course real fast and took Hall and GR. 

Here's the 1st round for this draft.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2016&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

You'll notice a lot of "terrible" drafting in a weak draft. The first two picks in the draft cost a total of $12.3 million and have put up -1.8 WAR so far. 

Sometimes drafting is a crap shoot. I do believe technology that allows for spin rates and movement of pitches, EVs for hitters allow for a little better drafting. It's still not a perfect science, but I think it's helping make it less of a crapshoot.

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Here's the 1st round for this draft.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2016&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

You'll notice a lot of "terrible" drafting in a weak draft. The first two picks in the draft cost a total of $12.3 million and have put up -1.8 WAR so far. 

Sometimes drafting is a crap shoot. I do believe technology that allows for spin rates and movement of pitches, EVs for hitters allow for a little better drafting. It's still not a perfect science, but I think it's helping make it less of a crapshoot.

That's a nice first round for the Dodgers, Lux, Will Smith, and Jordan Sheffield.

On 8/11/2016 at 5:03 PM, Tony-OH said:

Well he may have saw him in mid-season form and I've seen him as a pro in a 3-inning stint. As you know, when you see him can matter a lot. The stuff is there, and the body of work suggests the command can be better then it's been, but when I saw him, I saw the power sink but he struggled to command it, especially glove side. He has 10 walks in 18 innings against NY-Penn League batters. I like him a lot, and think he has some promise, but the guy I saw wasn't ready to go up and pitch significant enough innings to be worth having to add him to the 40-man. Could he be a 6th inning guy? Perhaps, but I just don't think they are going to risk putting a guy under that stress who they are trying to baby thru pro 30 innings.

On 8/11/2016 at 4:55 PM, Stotle said:

Interesting. Just ran into a cross-checker at Wrigley two weekends ago who said he could step in as Sale did and not miss a beat. Different strokes, and all that.

I had forgot about the cross checker that Stotle knew that thought Sedlock was ready to be a major league reliever right out of college. I apparently was not in favor after watching him due to a lack of command, something that's an issue for him even today. 

• Tony-OH changed the title to Cody Sedlock (Merged with: Sedlock sold to Tigers in July 2022)