Cristian Alvarado - Orioles Minor League Pitcher of the Month

weams

The Delmarva Shorebirds are proud to announce that right-hander Cristian Alvarado has been named the Baltimore Orioles Minor League Pitcher of the Month for June.

Alvarado, who was also named the South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week for June 27-July 3, went a perfect 4-0 in six June starts with a 1.29 ERA. He limited opposing hitters to a .205 average while striking out 39 in 35 innings. He also did an incredible job of keeping opposing hitters off base, as he allowed just 26 hits and four walks for a WHIP of 0.85.

He ended the month with three consecutive scoreless starts, all of which went at least six innings. His final start of the month was his best, as he threw a seven inning one-hitter against the Greensboro Grasshoppers in Game 2 of a doubleheader on June 29.

As of July 6, Alvarado has a team-high seven wins while posting a 3.19 ERA in 16 starts. He also leads the South Atlantic League with 101 strikeouts in 87.1 innings pitched. Alvarado has notched at least seven strikeouts in nine of his appearances this year. His play has been a big reason why the Shorebirds currently lead the SAL with a staff ERA of 2.92.

Alvarado is the second Shorebirds pitcher to earn this honor from the Orioles in 2016, as Garrett Cleavinger won the award for his play in April

o

Over the next year or two, we will likely have pitchers such as Joe Gunkel, Ariel Miranda, Jayson Aquino, Christopher Lee, Jason Garcia, and John Means getting a shot to break into the starting rotation (and currently, there is PLENTY of room in that area.)

In 2018 and beyond (if they are still with the organization), there is the possibility of pitchers such as Cory Ian Jones, Ofelky Peralta, Francisco Jimenez, Brian Gonzalez, Reid Love, and Cristian Alvarado getting their shot.

Let's go, minor league Orioles.

o

Over the next year or two, we will likely have pitchers such as Joe Gunkel, Ariel Miranda, Jayson Aquino, Christopher Lee, Jason Garcia, and John Means getting a shot to break into the starting rotation (and currently, there is PLENTY of room in that area.)

In 2018 and beyond (if they are still with the organization), there is the possibility of pitchers such as Cory Ian Jones, Ofelky Peralta, Francisco Jimenez, Brian Gonzalez, Reid Love, and Cristian Alvarado getting their shot.

Let's go, minor league Orioles.

We're in a lot of trouble if Jayson Aquino, Jason Garcia and John Means have a shot at the rotation.

You could make a case about Gunkel or Miranda. I do worry about Lee and his strikeout rate. It's one of the worst I've ever seen from a starter in the minors that was considered a prospect. But I suppose he might be considered as his other numbers are rather nice.

o

I don't see much room in the rotation next year. Tillman, Gausman, and Gallardo are locks. Bundy is a near-lock. I doubt Ubaldo is DFA. That leaves somewhere between zero and one spot next year.

I don't see much room in the rotation next year. Tillman, Gausman, and Gallardo are locks. Bundy is a near-lock. I doubt Ubaldo is DFA. That leaves somewhere between zero and one spot next year.

Next year is a long time away, and our current starting rotation is so bad that it is desperately trying to make it to the All-Star break without putting the team into a major tailspin.

Outside of Tillman and Gausman (and Bundy, if he stays healthy), I wouldn't pencil in anyone as a sure thing for next season, even if they (Gallardo and Jimenez) are guaranteed to make a good deal of money. We're already playing musical chairs with Norfolk and even Bowie to get guys up here to eat innings because our starters have been so bad. I don't see Showalter and Duquette simply going with what they have next year because of the financial investments that have been made. And if there are pitchers at the AAA and/or AA levels that are showing that they could be an improvement over what we currently have, I can't see them not getting a look.

Next year is a long time away, and our current starting rotation is so bad that it is desperately trying to make it to the All-Star break without putting the team into a major tailspin.

Outside of Tillman and Gausman (and Bundy, if he stays healthy), I wouldn't pencil in anyone as a sure thing for next season, even if they (Gallardo and Jimenez) are guaranteed to make a good deal of money. We're already playing musical chairs with Norfolk and even Bowie to get guys up here to eat innings because our starters have been so bad. I don't see Showalter and Duquette simply going with what they have next year because of the financial investments that have been made. And if there are pitchers at the AAA and/or AA levels that are showing that they could be an improvement over what we currently have, I can't see them not getting a look.

I think it is more likely that DD trades those guys away to get the next Gallardo and Ubaldo than we are to get rid of Gallardo and Ubaldo.

Archived