Roe DFA - Ondrusek signed - Roe claimed by Atlanta

Yardball85

He can be optioned at any time so if he doesn't step up they can go in another direction. They didn't add a lefty or keep Hart and they are just hoping he gets lefties out based on his history. They also may not want Hart due to Ubaldo. They think Ondrusek can pitch more innings than Hart.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He can be optioned at any time so if he doesn't step up they can go in another direction. They didn't add a lefty or keep Hart and they are just hoping he gets lefties out based on his history. They also may not want Hart due to Ubaldo. They think Ondrusek can pitch more innings than Hart.

As you state, Ondrusek has several advantages over Roe:

1) He has an option remaining (this is foremost)

2) His splits are better against LH Batters

As you state, Ondrusek has several advantages over Roe:

1) He has an option remaining (this is foremost)

2) His splits are better against LH Batters

SSS but he doesn't have reverse splits, like the O's announcers are trying to sell us on.

RH- .382 OPS

LH- 1.143 OPS

He's more valuable than Roe because he has an option left.

Like I said earlier in the thread we've needed a LHP in the Minn game and last night vs. Oak. We didn't have that option. Roe gave up a run and then was DFA'd vs Minn. Ondrusek gave up one and who knows?

Sure would be nice to have Tolliver or Hart back, or maybe even see what Andy Oliver can do. Tommy Layne was DFA'd then released by Boston when they traded for Abad. He's a guy with decent/good overall numbers with a track record of mowing down LH's. Not having the same success vs LH's this year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/layneto01.shtml

He's better than what we have and he's been released. Even his .688 OPS vs LHP this year would bolster our pen. For his career he's held LH's to a .507 OPS. Wouldn't be surprised if we gave him a look. We've potentially cost ourselves 2 games recently by having no LHP in the pen. We need a LH for the middle innings to match up. Can't go to Brach that early or use him when we are down by a run.

I think last night was an audition for Ondrusek just like Roe got a chance against the Twins. Especially with Buck mentioning needing a lefty for the SF series. Miley starts tonight so it might not be as big of a need, but I'd expect something to be done before tomorrow's game.

SSS but he doesn't have reverse splits, like the O's announcers are trying to sell us on.

RH- .382 OPS

LH- 1.143 OPS

He's more valuable than Roe because he has an option left.

Like I said earlier in the thread we've needed a LHP in the Minn game and last night vs. Oak. We didn't have that option. Roe gave up a run and then was DFA'd vs Minn. Ondrusek gave up one and who knows?

Sure would be nice to have Tolliver or Hart back, or maybe even see what Andy Oliver can do. Tommy Layne was DFA'd then released by Boston when they traded for Abad. He's a guy with decent/good overall numbers with a track record of mowing down LH's. Not having the same success vs LH's this year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/layneto01.shtml

He's better than what we have and he's been released. Even his .688 OPS vs LHP this year would bolster our pen. For his career he's held LH's to a .507 OPS. Wouldn't be surprised if we gave him a look. We've potentially cost ourselves 2 games recently by having no LHP in the pen. We need a LH for the middle innings to match up. Can't go to Brach that early or use him when we are down by a run.

I think last night was an audition for Ondrusek just like Roe got a chance against the Twins. Especially with Buck mentioning needing a lefty for the SF series. Miley starts tonight so it might not be as big of a need, but I'd expect something to be done before tomorrow's game.

Ondrusek Career splits:

VS LHB as a RHP .239 .320 .392 .712

VS RHB as a RHP .255 .325 .403 .727

This may be what they are talking about instead of Just 2016.

Chaz Roe has the following Life Time Splits:

VS LHB as a RHP .336 .414 .566 .980

VS RHB as a RHP .207 .308 .361 .669

All I know is everytime he comes in, it seems he gives up a crucial run.

He shouldn't be pitching in crucial situations. He hasn't earned pitching in these situations yet and the fact that he is supposedly the answer to get lefties out is ridiculous. If DD can't acquire a left-handed option, they need to bring up Hart and use him as a LOOGY.

All I know is everytime he comes in, it seems he gives up a crucial run.
He shouldn't be pitching in crucial situations. He hasn't earned pitching in these situations yet and the fact that he is supposedly the answer to get lefties out is ridiculous. If DD can't acquire a left-handed option, they need to bring up Hart and use him as a LOOGY.

So far, Ondrusek has pitched in 5 games: down 6, ahead 4, down 1, ahead 3, down 1. He's allowed one run in each of two outings, the two where he entered down 1 run. So, he hasn't been asked to pitch in a game we were winning by less than 3 runs. He's pitched twice in close games we were losing. I don't really have a problem with using him there. We basically don't use Britton, O'Day or Brach when we're losing and Givens is used then only rarely. Worley and Ubaldo are reserved for multiple inning situations. That leaves Ondrusek.

So far, Ondrusek has pitched in 5 games: down 6, ahead 4, down 1, ahead 3, down 1. He's allowed one run in each of two outings, the two where he entered down 1 run. So, he hasn't been asked to pitch in a game we were winning by less than 3 runs. He's pitched twice in close games we were losing. I don't really have a problem with using him there. We basically don't use Britton, O'Day or Brach when we're losing and Givens is used then only rarely. Worley and Ubaldo are reserved for multiple inning situations. That leaves Ondrusek.

Good post. Buck clearly has his "A" squad guys. Britton, O'day, Brach, that will only be used in a tie game or if we have a lead.

Worley is the quality long reliever and Ubaldo is the mop up long reliever.

So that leaves Givens and Ondrusek/AAA shuttle to pitch in the middle/late innings when we're down but it's close. Seems like all year we've been searching for someone to win the role of "B" squad reliever that can hold the team down other than Givens.

Bottom line is that we just need a Lefty. Sometimes as a LOOGY or sometimes just to eat innings when the game isn't close.

Good post. Buck clearly has his "A" squad guys. Britton, O'day, Brach, that will only be used in a tie game or if we have a lead.

Worley is the quality long reliever and Ubaldo is the mop up long reliever.

So that leaves Givens and Ondrusek/AAA shuttle to pitch in the middle/late innings when we're down but it's close. Seems like all year we've been searching for someone to win the role of "B" squad reliever that can hold the team down other than Givens.

Bottom line is that we just need a Lefty. Sometimes as a LOOGY or sometimes just to eat innings when the game isn't close.

A well-constructed team shouldn't have two long relievers. Ubaldo is a waste of a roster spot; he's only on the team because the owner isn't ready to write off another $12 million.

With Ubaldo on the team, it's all the more important that you be able to put all of your other relievers into a close game with confidence. I don't have that confidence yet with Ondrusek (nor did I have it with Roe).

Ideally, the O's would have another lefty in the pen, but more important than getting a lefty is making sure that you have as many pitchers as possible who can be counted on to hold a lead or to keep the game close. If they can't acquire a good reliever by trade, then they need to find someone in the system who is better than Ondrusek. Maybe it's time to convert Mike Wright to the bullpen.

I think you're correct.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="pl" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> option Logan Ondrusek to AA Bowie</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">August 11, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Good guy Roe catches on with Braves and has done well so far: <a href="https://t.co/U1k3KjgKKR">https://t.co/U1k3KjgKKR</a></p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnolly2016) <a href="

">August 11, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="pl" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> option Logan Ondrusek to AA Bowie</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

You could see that coming after today walking guys with 7 run lead. A lefty has to be on his way.

Archived