Who Puts on an Orioles Uniform First: Hunter Harvey or Cody Sedlock?

FanSince88

Who gets promoted to the majors first?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets promoted to the majors first?

• Hunter Harvey
    • Cody Sedlock
    • Neither makes it to the MLB level

This poll is closed to new votes

Pretty unlikely. I'm sure if you looked at all college pitchers drafted in the first round, you'd find it was a very small percentage that got called up the year after they were drafted. Matusz did, but he was a no. 4 overall pick who was just toying with hitters in the minors. Bundy did it as a high school draftee, but well, he's Bundy (and also a 1:4 in an exceptionally strong draft class).
Three guys in 2014 first round made their debuts before 2016. Finnegan, Nola, and Rodon. If I counted correctly, that's 3 out of 10. Certainly not rare.

I spent a little time looking at past draft classes and concluded that you are right, it's not as rare as I thought. Maybe a 30-40% shot. Of course, you have to look a little at their flight path. Rodon pitched a little in AAA the year he was drafted. Nola pitched in high A and AA. Finnegan pitched in high A, AA and the majors the year he was drafted. Meanwhile, we had Sedlock pitching in short season ball. It certainly doesn't look like the O's plan to rush him through the minors. But I guess we'll find out next year.

At what point does Harvey have to be on the MLB roster or they risk losing him? Folks are talking like he might not be up until 2019... isn't that about the point where he absolutely has to be up or he's a Rule 5er?

Rule 5 is protected if they are on 40 man roster. I don't think that would be an issue. Minor league free agent is 7 years on minor league roster and 6 contract extensions. Full seasons on disabled list do not count towards the seven years.

At what point does Harvey have to be on the MLB roster or they risk losing him? Folks are talking like he might not be up until 2019... isn't that about the point where he absolutely has to be up or he's a Rule 5er?

I believe Harvey has to be placed on the 40-man roster after the 2017 season, and then we will have three options though the 2020 season.

Edited by Frobby

I believe Harvey has to be placed on the 40-man roster after the 2017 season, and then we will have three options though the 2020 season.

Yeah so even if he had the 7 years of minor league seasons he would not be eligible for free agency if he is placed on the 40 man roster.

Does anyone know the full injury history of Hunter Harvey? My impression is that he's been battling this forearm/elbow issue for a long time. He's basically been in injury purgatory with this one injury rather than an injury prone guy. From that perspective, it was sort of a relief that they finally decided to get it fixed rather than continue to tinker around the edges. I understand his and our motivation for waiting for surgery, but it's good that he's able to move on.

With that said, the surgery happened at the end of July. Is there any reason to expect he won't be able to begin pitching next year, including some regular season and full instructionals? That would put him in 2018 pretty much full go. I'd expect him to start in 2018 in AA and to have a chance for a call up mid-late season. He would just be dealing with the injury limitations. This kid's a top prospect who will be a difference maker when he gets here, barring further setbacks.

For Sedlock, I think people need to remember that the kid really put some stress on his arm this year. I want to say his last 3 (or was it 5?) starts were all 9 innings or more. For that reason, the O's are not likely to push hard at all through the end of this year. I like that Sedlock's a horse. I like that he has a 4 pitch mix. I just don't think he has special written on him a la Bundy, Harvey and Gausman. He should be good if he can stay healthy though, so I'm happy he's ours. Let's hope he stays healthy and progresses fast. If he does, he may make Harvey's full-time arrival come after his for sure.

• 3 years later...