Luis Terrero

Frobby

As I posted on the main board, I think it is time to consider bringing Luis Terrero up to the majors. Currently he sits at .339/.415/.532. He ranks 4th in the International League in BA and OBP, 11th in SLG, 7th in OPS, 5th in RBI.

While at our AAA affiliate Ottawa in 2006, Terrero hit .318/.367/.560. Last year he played a decent amount for the White Sox (117 AB), posting a .231/.348/.376 mark. Not great, but the BA is about the same as what Payton's is now, and thr OBP and SLG are considerably higher.

At age 28, it's time to see what he can do.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I posted on the main board, I think it is time to consider bringing Luis Terrero up to the majors. Currently he sits at .339/.415/.532. He ranks 4th in the International League in BA and OBP, 11th in SLG, 7th in OPS, 5th in RBI.

While at our AAA affiliate Ottawa in 2006, Terrero hit .318/.367/.560. Last year he played a decent amount for the White Sox (117 AB), posting a .231/.348/.376 mark. Not great, but the BA is about the same as what Payton's is now, and thr OBP and SLG are considerably higher.

At age 28, it's time to see what he can do.

I really don't know how the O's get him playing time. Anytime the O's take away from Payton is going to blow up in the teams face in attutude problems. I don't see the O's eating a bunch of salary to get rid of Payton. Unfortunately, I think this is a move that does not happen until late July unless there is an injury.

As Jon Wilt noted in another thread, Terrero is Payton at a tiny fraction of the cost. It's nice to have a guy like this in the system, available to replace an injured OF or to replace Payton when (hopefully) he gets dealt. Barring that, Terrero would serve no purpose on the team and would get zero playing time.

I really don't know how the O's get him playing time. Anytime the O's take away from Payton is going to blow up in the teams face in attutude problems. I don't see the O's eating a bunch of salary to get rid of Payton. Unfortunately, I think this is a move that does not happen until late July unless there is an injury.

Just release Payton. It's less than 2 million at this point. I think it's worth it to find out if Terrero is worth anything. Just find a way to get him into the game 3-4 times a week.

Terrero in a worst case scenario is basically a cheaper Payton with more power, a better arm, and perhaps a lower BA. Overall a more useful 4th OF I think, and given his tremendous minor league success there's always a chance he could finally figure it out and be even better. Payton is only going to get worse, and he wasn't that good to begin with.

Terrero in a worst case scenario is basically a cheaper Payton with more power, a better arm, and perhaps a lower BA. Overall a more useful 4th OF I think, and given his tremendous minor league success there's always a chance he could finally figure it out and be even better. Payton is only going to get worse, and he wasn't that good to begin with.
If Terrero is added to the team now in connection with Payton getting cut, as many are suggesting (I'm assuming, perhaps erroneously, that you are among them, Jenius), then in aggregate dollars we've wound up with a MORE expensive Payton. This way, we're paying the full balance of Payton's contract (which would NOT necessarily be the case if we have the patience to wait for an OF injury striking a contender, so that Payton can be dealt) plus Terrero's minimum-salary big-league contract.

If Terrero is added to the team now in connection with Payton getting cut, as many are suggesting (I'm assuming, perhaps erroneously, that you are among them, Jenius), then in aggregate dollars we've wound up with a MORE expensive Payton. This way, we're paying the full balance of Payton's contract (which would NOT necessarily be the case if we have the patience to wait for an OF injury striking a contender, so that Payton can be dealt) plus Terrero's minimum-salary big-league contract.
For this year, sure, but you also get the opportunity to find out if you have a cheaper Payton on hand for 2009+ or if you need to get a decent backup OF through trade, FA, or whatever means for the future.

For this year, sure, but you also get the opportunity to find out if you have a cheaper Payton on hand for 2009+ or if you need to get a decent backup OF through trade, FA, or whatever means for the future.
If Payton is traded, say, in July (and who knows? maybe it could be June or late May if an opportunity arises) -- then there's still enough time during the rest of the year to give Terrero a reasonable audition. But either way, I would contend that the dollars we might potentially recover on Payton's contract are more valuable than the slight incremental knowledge we'd gain about Terrero. Even if he performs exceedingly well during an audition this year, I don't think any of us could confidently predict that he would be able to repeat the performance next year. It just bumps the odds up a little bit (which is fine, but not in any way close to conclusive).

i started this thread on the majol league board also, i too believe he needs to get another shot with the big club. After today he is 4-5 and raied his average to .360
Assuming Terrero himself doesn't get injured at the wrong time, he will almost certainly get that shot. All it will take is either a trade of Payton, a 3-day injury to Jones or Payton, or a one-week injury to Scott or Markakis (something along those lines). Hard to believe that at least one of those things will not occur sometime this year.

Just release Payton. It's less than 2 million at this point. I think it's worth it to find out if Terrero is worth anything. Just find a way to get him into the game 3-4 times a week.

I think your math is a little off. The O's are about 21% into the season. That means they have 79% to go yet. 79% times $5M equals $3.95M still on Payton's contract.

I really don't know how the O's get him playing time. Anytime the O's take away from Payton is going to blow up in the teams face in attutude problems.

I think you're right, and who the helle cares?. Bring up Terrero and play him.Tell me who has done so super that the team can't afford to let them sit down. . Who cares if Kevin Millar is miffed? Get rid of him, too. Same for the rest of that dead-assed lineup.Get Salazar up here and give him his shot.The Orioles w/have been shut out in Kansas City tonight if Markakis hadn't played. You simply have to make some changes. This team is not going to get better w/o them.

I'm just skeptical that Payton has any trade value at all, even if some other team suffers and injury. I think all you'd get for him is some 27-year old AA player, or maybe two players of that type. About what we got for Rodrigo Lopez or Javy Lopez, in other words. Is it worth it for us to deny AB to a player who might be better than Payton so that we can hope to engineer a trade like that?

I'm just skeptical that Payton has any trade value at all, even if some other team suffers and injury. I think all you'd get for him is some 27-year old AA player, or maybe two players of that type. About what we got for Rodrigo Lopez or Javy Lopez, in other words. Is it worth it for us to deny AB to a player who might be better than Payton so that we can hope to engineer a trade like that?
The purpose of a Payton trade, at least in my view, would be to recover useful dollars (out of the remaining $3.9 million on Jay's contract), not useless players. Even if it makes us a couple of games better this season to have Terrero on the team and Redman as the first injury call-up rather than Payton on the team and Terrero as the first call-up (which is not entirely clear-cut), it hurts us for the future to forfeit dollars that could be used for incremental increases to our budgets for scouting, draftee signing bonuses, facilities improvement, and/or player development.

Archived