wildcard

Here is my guess:

Pitchers

Despaigne

Drake

Ondrusek

Tolliver (when healthy)

Wright

Wilson (who will be optioned when O'Day returns in late August)

McFarland (activated from the DL)

Duensing is an interesting case - If he comes off the 60 DL the O's have to make space on the 40 man roster. Not sure what the O's do. Have to wait to see who gets injured.

Note: Not all the pitchers come up on September 1st

Catcher

Pena

Infielder/DH

Mancini (Lee goes on the 60 day DL to make room)

Outfielder

Daniel Alvarez

Rickard (activated off the DL when healthy)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good thinking. Season ends Sept 5th for Norfolk.

I think you might see Borbon up before Mancini, who won't really get playing time if Davis, Alvarez, Trumbo, and Pearce are healthy.

I think Mancini deserves the call up, he's earned it

Good thinking. Season ends Sept 5th for Norfolk.

I think you might see Borbon up before Mancini, who won't really get playing time if Davis, Alvarez, Trumbo, and Pearce are healthy.

I think it depends on when Rickard is ready. Borbon probably only gets called up if Rickard is still on the DL.

Good post and conversation starter. I think all your choices are logical ones, though I doubt we bring up so many pitchers. Buck has several times mentioned that he doesn't like overcrowding his bench/clubhouse with players that will be sparsely used, so I bet we see only 3-4 pitchers, with one or two more brought in if needed. I agree that I'd very much like to see Mancini (considering he has to go on the 40 next year it's a no brainier) and agree with the posters who suggested a speed guy, too (Borbon or perhaps Avery gets added).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post and conversation starter. I think all your choices are logical ones, though I doubt we bring up so many pitchers. Buck has several times mentioned that he doesn't like overcrowding his bench/clubhouse with players that will be sparsely used, so I bet we see only 3-4 pitchers, with one or two more brought in if needed. I agree that I'd very much like to see Mancini (considering he has to go on the 40 next year it's a no brainier) and agree with the posters who suggested a speed guy, too (Borbon or perhaps Avery gets added).

JMO but I don't think the O's DFA guys off the 40 man roster to add Avery or Borbon if Rickard is healthy.

The number of pitchers added may depend on how the O's decide to use Bundy. If they cut his innings back in September to have him available in October then more pitchers may be called to cover the innings Bundy does not pitch.

Camden Chat's, Chris Booze (is he a former poster :D)'s take:

"All in all, my guess is that we’ll see a few more players than usual added to the Orioles clubhouse in a few weeks. Despaigne, Wilson, Wright, Pena and Rickard (if healthy) seem like near-locks. Throw in two of McFarland/Ondrusek/Aquino/Tolliver, which would bolster the bullpen’s ability to match up with left-handed hitters.

Finally, Borbon and Janish fill specific needs and I’d be surprised if Dan Duquette doesn’t bring the ax down on couple low-ceiling players (Tolliver? Drake?) to make room for them. Add one of Walker/Alvarez and that gets the Orioles to an even 35 players."

http://www.camdenchat.com/2016/8/12/12448358/orioles-september-call-ups-janish-borbon-wilson-despaigne

JMO but I don't think the O's DFA guys off the 40 man roster to add Avery or Borbon if Rickard is healthy.

The number of pitchers added may depend on how the O's decide to use Bundy. If they cut his innings back in September to have him available in October then more pitchers may be called to cover the innings Bundy does not pitch.

Sure, all reasonable. I would like to see us call up whoever we think is our best defensive OF at the higher levels. Be it Borbon, Avery, or someone else, I'd like to see a legit defensive replacement and I'd be willing to DFA someone to make it happen. Would hope that guy also has speed.

Makes sense on Bundy, though it seems to me the point may be moot - they look like they will let him go roughly 90 pitches a start, and I doubt they back him off of that if we need him. Not saying I totally agree, but that's what I expect.

Camden Chat's, Chris Booze (is he a former poster :D)'s take:

"All in all, my guess is that we’ll see a few more players than usual added to the Orioles clubhouse in a few weeks. Despaigne, Wilson, Wright, Pena and Rickard (if healthy) seem like near-locks. Throw in two of McFarland/Ondrusek/Aquino/Tolliver, which would bolster the bullpen’s ability to match up with left-handed hitters.

Finally, Borbon and Janish fill specific needs and I’d be surprised if Dan Duquette doesn’t bring the ax down on couple low-ceiling players (Tolliver? Drake?) to make room for them. Add one of Walker/Alvarez and that gets the Orioles to an even 35 players."

http://www.camdenchat.com/2016/8/12/12448358/orioles-september-call-ups-janish-borbon-wilson-despaigne

I see no reason to add Aquino. His ERA, WHIP and hits per inning are not impressive at AA.

I will be surprised if Tolliver and Drake do not stay on the roster the whole winter. They both have options for next year and provide good depth in case of injuries.

There are quite a few players that will be coming off the roster this winter including the possibility of Pearce, Reimold, McFarland (out of options), Pena ( out of options), Duensing, Trumbo and maybe Wieters and Pedro Alvarez.

I think Wieters and Alvarez have a chance to being re-signed if their contract price is not too large.

He deserves it but it isn't worth a 40 man roster spot if he isn't going to be used.

I'd DH him against lefties. Pearce in left, Trumbo in right. Maybe play him at first every now and then, with Reimold in the OF and Trumbo at DH.

Now if Pearce can't throw...

Archived