Orioles reportedly won't offer Wieters another QO

billw76

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure his arm is better than Hardy's...after his shoulder issues.

As for Machado and Schoop...

I've seen him gun some throws from third. He's not bad. But Manny or Schoop! :P They'd work. Even Adam, altho you wouldn't want to risk injuring him.

No offer, no draft pick... Maybe the Orioles have been talking with Boras on a deal, so that's why this was leaked.

There is absolutely no way in Floyd Rayford's belly that Boras will allow Wieters to negotiate only with the O's during the season. Boras will wait until the offseason to bring in multiple teams to drive up Wieters price.

There is absolutely no way in Floyd Rayford's belly that Boras will allow Wieters to negotiate only with the O's during the season. Boras will wait until the offseason to bring in multiple teams to drive up Wieters price.

Lol! Boras will do what ever his client wants. Boras tried it with Davis and only squeezed an extra $6m from the first offer at winter meetings. Despite the fact Boras kept insisting teams kept asking. Wieters has maybe 1 team out there.. Braves.. and they are rebuilding and Wieters is getting older.

Wieters is currently a 77 OPS+ player for 2016. That's lower than any season so far and 23 points below his career average coming into this season. If Wieters can leverage Buck's increasingly peculiar devotion and work out a 3-4 year deal at an AAV of around $9-11 million then he would be a fool to do anything other than show Boras the door.

I've enjoyed having Wieters on the team. He's never lived up to the hype surrounding him as a prospect but he's been a solid catcher for us and has had some good years. But there is a time to cut ties and I don't think you can risk the QO. 16 Million is way too much to pay him, especially when we have major money tied up.

A career .256/.317/.419 - .736 OPS and 98 OPS+ is not too shabby. Especially 8 years with the club and putting together about 15 WAR. Didn't live up to the hype, but he's been solid.

I couldnt care less what he's done in the past it's about what he will do in the future.

He has big time injury concerns and declining statistics across the board as well as losing his ability to throw runners out.

Let him go, wish him well, no need to lock up another big question mark like we did with Davis.

I couldnt care less what he's done in the past it's about what he will do in the future.

He has big time injury concerns and declining statistics across the board as well as losing his ability to throw runners out.

Let him go, wish him well, no need to lock up another big question mark like we did with Davis.

Oh, I agree. I'm just trying to give a little love Wieters way because I think he certainly gets a lot of heat here.

My main problem w/ Wieters isn't necessarily his bat. There are a lot of poor offensive catchers out there. And I think he's better than most there.

He's also better than most throwing out runners.

But he's not particularly good at blocking pitches. I don't like how he stabs at pitches rather than gives up his body more often than not.

I don't think he handles pitchers particularly well. He has a tendency to wait to look to visit the mound to walk them through the appropriate situations.

And perhaps worst of all...is he doesn't frame pitches well. At all. He's one of the worst in the league.

In an ideal world, he'd have a plus offensive year and the O's could offer him a QO and get the pick. However, it's very real that he'd accept the QO considering he currently has a 77 OPS+.

I'm probably in the minority here but Buck loves him and I suspect he gets a three year extension soon.

I absolutely hope not, it's time to move on. I know the options on the farm aren't great but I don't think Wieters production will justify the salary he will be looking for.

Oh, I agree. I'm just trying to give a little love Wieters way because I think he certainly gets a lot of heat here.

My main problem w/ Wieters isn't necessarily his bat. There are a lot of poor offensive catchers out there. And I think he's better than most there.

He's also better than most throwing out runners.

But he's not particularly good at blocking pitches. I don't like how he stabs at pitches rather than gives up his body more often than not.

I don't think he handles pitchers particularly well. He has a tendency to wait to look to visit the mound to walk them through the appropriate situations.

And perhaps worst of all...is he doesn't frame pitches well. At all. He's one of the worst in the league.

In an ideal world, he'd have a plus offensive year and the O's could offer him a QO and get the pick. However, it's very real that he'd accept the QO considering he currently has a 77 OPS+.

When he won the fielding bible award he was great at blocking pitches.

When Mike Fast did the original work on framing pitches he was slightly above average. *

His defensive decline has been significant, and not in the types of things TJ surgery should impact.

*Standard disclaimer concerning the accuracy of current framing metrics.

Archived