Here's what I know: I don't know

Frobby

I've been reading a lot of threads declaring that the Orioles are dead and that the season is over. And surely, there is plenty of reason for pessimism right now. I don't want to sugar coat that at all.

That said, this is baseball. What seems obvious one week may seem idiotic two weeks from now. I've been following this sport for too long to think that I have any real certainty about what will happen over the final 39 games of the season.

I've seen an Orioles team that was 63-63 on August 23 finish the season 4-32. And I've seen an Orioles team that was 32-73 on August 2 finish the season 34-23.

I've seen an Orioles team that lost 6 out of 7 to fall two games under .500 and 8 games back of the division lead on August 28 turn around and finish 28-6 and win the division by 2 games. And I've seen an Orioles team that was 14 games over .500 and leading the division finish 14 games under .500 and 21 games out of first place.

If you think that the current situation is any more clear or predictable than things were in those seasons, you are wrong.

So here's what I know: I don't know. And when you are a baseball fan, if you know that, you know more than most fans do.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting pitching is very unreliable at this point in the season, and the bullpen has apparently been exhausted. No help from the minors and I am not confident that DD can pull off a last minute trades for help...bottom line, I think we will have hard time holding on to a wildcard spot.

I've been reading a lot of threads declaring that the Orioles are dead and that the season is over. And surely, there is plenty of reason for pessimism right now. I don't want to sugar coat that at all.

That said, this is baseball. What seems obvious one week may seem idiotic two weeks from now. I've been following this sport for too long to think that I have any real certainty about what will happen over the final 39 games of the season.

I've seen an Orioles team that was 63-63 on August 23 finish the season 4-32. And I've seen an Orioles team that was 32-73 on August 2 finish the season 34-23.

I've seen an Orioles team that lost 6 out of 7 to fall two games under .500 and 8 games back of the division lead on August 28 turn around and finish 28-6 and win the division by 2 games. And I've seen an Orioles team that was 14 games over .500 and leading the division finish 14 games under .500 and 21 games out of first place.

If you think that the current situation is any more clear or predictable than things were in those seasons, you are wrong.

So here's what I know: I don't know. And when you are a baseball fan, if you know that, you know more than most fans do.

Good post. Tough to not get discouraged, and certainly plenty of reasons for pessimism, but let's play it out and hope we catch fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank goodness we won, be a few less threads for me to pick through to avoid tomorrow.

We had a truly pathetic Spring Training followed by an excellent first half this year, so they've already shown that things won't necessarily remain bad once the momentum is against them. Kim is a great example in a single player of how he turned the momentum around.

I've stopped caring about power rankings. They have a shot at the playoffs and I hope they make it. That's all I can really say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been reading a lot of threads declaring that the Orioles are dead and that the season is over. And surely, there is plenty of reason for pessimism right now.

You know what I've been doing? Not reading a lot of threads declaring that the Orioles are dead and that the season is over. I have more fun things to do, like scrubbing the mildew off the north side of my shed.

You know what I've been doing? Not reading a lot of threads declaring that the Orioles are dead and that the season is over. I have more fun things to do, like scrubbing the mildew off the north side of my shed.

Here's what I know: Try "Wet and Forget" to remove mildew - you load it into a pesticide sprayer, spray it down, and forget about it. I did my whole house and shed in about 30 minutes. It took about a week to fully work, but damned if it didn't.

Archived