Poll: Promote Wieters Now.

DocJJ

Promote Wieters Now?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Promote Wieters Now?

• Yes- there's no point in continuing to let him mash A-ball pitching
    • No- let him continue to mash A-ball pitching

After watching him the last two nights in lynchburg, there's no doubt that he needs to be promoted very soon.

It's like watching that kid in little league that hit puberty a year earlier than all the other kids and hits a home run almost every game.

What a typical response poll coming after his second best game as a Key. Can't say as I'm surprised to see this the day after.

I'm going to leave him in Frederick for now. I would say the end of this month at the earliest is when Wieters makes the next step. The Orioles are really being patient on this one which I really like, and I'm sure many of you will disagree.

I know bigbird said the all-star break, and that was my initial prediction. However, he's really turned things on again during this most recent hit streak. He's also making more consistent throws to second base with less of a high release point.

June 1st, I think he'll be in Bowie, and we'll see Pierce back in Frederick as the everyday catcher there. Until then, let's enjoy watching him put up quality numbers.

FYI, two pitchers who were drafted #4 and #6 respectively in that 07 draft are in High-A. Moskos, who was drafted at #4 I felt was the best pitcher next to Price in the draft. So should he be in Double-A right now? Just a question.

What a typical response poll coming after his second best game as a Key. Can't say as I'm surprised to see this the day after.

I'm going to leave him in Frederick for now. I would say the end of this month at the earliest is when Wieters makes the next step. The Orioles are really being patient on this one which I really like, and I'm sure many of you will disagree.

I know bigbird said the all-star break, and that was my initial prediction. However, he's really turned things on again during this most recent hit streak. He's also making more consistent throws to second base with less of a high release point.

June 1st, I think he'll be in Bowie, and we'll see Pierce back in Frederick as the everyday catcher there. Until then, let's enjoy watching him put up quality numbers.

FYI, two pitchers who were drafted #4 and #6 respectively in that 07 draft are in High-A. Moskos, who was drafted at #4 I felt was the best pitcher next to Price in the draft. So should he be in Double-A right now? Just a question.

I'm with you. I'd say a min. of June 1, let him build confidence and continue to see the ball well before you move him up a level. What is the rush to get him to AA? Get him to Bowie and then leave him there until September, if he continues to thrive, then give him a Sept. call up (well depending on how it impacts his FA clock).

I'm with you. I'd say a min. of June 1, let him build confidence and continue to see the ball well before you move him up a level. What is the rush to get him to AA? Get him to Bowie and then leave him there until September, if he continues to thrive, then give him a Sept. call up (well depending on how it impacts his FA clock).

Move him later.... what's the rush?

If a move is warranted .....Move him after the A minor league all-star game June 24th. Give him a chance to be in this.

To keep him actively working. If he gets to the point that it is too easy in Frederick, I'm worried that the lack of a challenge doesn't help him succeed at the next level. If he is ready for AA now, let him go up 45 days sooner, with 90-100 games under his belt at that level if he is producing even 80% of what he is now, he can make the jump to the majors. If he only gets 60 games this year after the break, then I don't know if he has enough AB in AA to make that jump for the beginning of next year like we all hope.

What possible benefit is there for him staying at Frederick?

He never should have been there to begin with, as the most talented college bat in the draft... he should be in Bowie now...

The Carolina League All-Star game is June 24, the Eastern League All-Star game is July 16. I suspect he'll probably be moved up around there somewhere.

2007 draft College Players amongst the overall Top 10:

#1 overall David Price: Signed a major league deal. He hasn't pitched yet due to an elbow strain.

#4 overall Daniel Moskos: Pitched 3 relief innings in the GCL and 12.2 relief innings in the NYPL in 2007. He has made 7 starts so far in the Carolina League (same league as Wieters & the Keys) in 2008.

#6 overall Ross Detwiler: Made 4 starts for 'A' Carolina League Potomac in 2007. He has made 7 more starts for 'A' Carolina League Potomac in 2008.

#7 Matt LaPorta: A surprise pick at #7, (and as I've previously expressed, the #1 bat in the 2007 draft) Made his major league debut in the Rookie Pioneer League and was quickly moved up to the Low-A SAL (same league as DelMarva). He started 2008 in the 'AA' Southern League.

#8 Casey Weathers: Made his debut with 13.2 ip as a reliever in the SAL. Started 2008 as a reliever in the 'AA' Texas League.

2006 MLB Draft College Players amongst the overall Top 10:

#1 Luch Hochevar: Made 4 starts in 2006 for Low-A Burlington. Was then promoted to 'AA'.

#2 Greg Reynolds: Made 11 starts at high-A.

#3 Evan Longoria: Made his debut on a rookie team, then was promoted to low-A. He moved to AA after 36 games at lower levels.

#4 Brad Lincoln: Made his pro debut on a rookie team and then was quickly promoted to low-A. Injured, he hasn't pitched above low-A.

#5 Brandon Morrow: Made his debut in rookie ball, and then made 1 start in High-A. He then skipped every other level and pitched in the majors.

#6 Andrew Miller: Made his first 7 starts in high-A.

#8 Drew Stubbs: Made his debut in Rookie ball. Is currently playing high-A.

#10 Tim Lincecum: Made his debut in Low-A, and was quickly promoted to High-A.

Do I need to go further back? I know you're saying he should never have been in High-A Frederick, but every college player drafted in the Top 10 overall in the last two drafts has debuted at High-A or lower. Relax, Wieters has only played 32 games.

What possible benefit is there for him staying at Frederick?

He never should have been there to begin with, as the most talented college bat in the draft... he should be in Bowie now...

You know what I'm starting to think - and I kinda like the idea - is that they are trying to get Weiters familiar with all the pitchers in the system.

Think about it - if Weiters spends 1/3 of a season with the Keys, Baysox, and Tides, he'll at least have a little familiarity with 15+ starters that we hope to be a part of our future. This list includes Arrieta, Bascom, Erbe, Spoone, Berkan, Tillman, Hernandez, Liz, and Penn. By the time they are all ready to join the big club, they will all have some familiarity with their battery mate. I really really like the idea of that. Hopefully it will be a way to ease them all into the majors and a way to maximize the production and value of our young arms.

The Carolina League All-Star game is June 24, the Eastern League All-Star game is July 16. I suspect he'll probably be moved up around there somewhere.

2007 draft College Players amongst the overall Top 10:

#1 overall David Price: Signed a major league deal. He hasn't pitched yet due to an elbow strain.

#4 overall Daniel Moskos: Pitched 3 relief innings in the GCL and 12.2 relief innings in the NYPL in 2007. He has made 7 starts so far in the Carolina League (same league as Wieters & the Keys) in 2008.

#6 overall Ross Detwiler: Made 4 starts for 'A' Carolina League Potomac in 2007. He has made 7 more starts for 'A' Carolina League Potomac in 2008.

#7 Matt LaPorta: A surprise pick at #7, (and as I've previously expressed, the #1 bat in the 2007 draft) Made his major league debut in the Rookie Pioneer League and was quickly moved up to the Low-A SAL (same league as DelMarva). He started 2008 in the 'AA' Southern League.

#8 Casey Weathers: Made his debut with 13.2 ip as a reliever in the SAL. Started 2008 as a reliever in the 'AA' Texas League.

2006 MLB Draft College Players amongst the overall Top 10:

#1 Luch Hochevar: Made 4 starts in 2006 for Low-A Burlington. Was then promoted to 'AA'.

#2 Greg Reynolds: Made 11 starts at high-A.

#3 Evan Longoria: Made his debut on a rookie team, then was promoted to low-A. He moved to AA after 36 games at lower levels.

#4 Brad Lincoln: Made his pro debut on a rookie team and then was quickly promoted to low-A. Injured, he hasn't pitched above low-A.

#5 Brandon Morrow: Made his debut in rookie ball, and then made 1 start in High-A. He then skipped every other level and pitched in the majors.

#6 Andrew Miller: Made his first 7 starts in high-A.

#8 Drew Stubbs: Made his debut in Rookie ball. Is currently playing high-A.

#10 Tim Lincecum: Made his debut in Low-A, and was quickly promoted to High-A.

Do I need to go further back? I know you're saying he should never have been in High-A Frederick, but every college player drafted in the Top 10 overall in the last two drafts has debuted at High-A or lower. Relax, Wieters has only played 32 games.

With the exception of Longoria, none of these hitters were/are as advanced as Wieters is.

The Orioles were going to start Wieters in AA...All his start has done is show that their initial thoughts may have been correct.

He should go to AA sometime over the next 3 weeks, ie by June 1.

He had a "slump" and his OPS is still over 1.000.

Seen the Orioles' offense lately?

I don't have a problem with taking him step by step through the minors, but there's a point when he is just too good for a level. Why not let him struggle (assuming he would struggle) at the next level now instead of later. It won't hurt him if he's any good.

If a move is warranted .....Move him after the A minor league all-star game June 24th. Give him a chance to be in this.

Move him now, and he could be in the AA All-Star Game :D

Archived