Poll: Promote Wieters Now.

DocJJ

Promote Wieters Now?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Promote Wieters Now?

• Yes- there's no point in continuing to let him mash A-ball pitching
    • No- let him continue to mash A-ball pitching

Okay... I just got back home from the game in Lynchburg, and my answer is even more "yes" than it was before.

He hit yet another opposite field home run, and made an unbelievable throw to nail the only guy who tried to steal...

How much freakin confidence do you need to build??!! I don't think it's possible for him to have any more confidence than he does now. It's definitely time for him to move on.

I think the biggest adjustment for MW is playing every day.

I think he'll get a long look in ST next year if the team doesn't spend next winter trying to move Ramon.

I don't think it makes much difference if MW is promoted now or in a month or two. I'd like to see him get 200 ABs at AA and expect he should be promoted around June 1.

I didn't vote, because I support whatever the Orioles choose to do here. Obviously he can hit above this level, but they may have other reasons to leave him in Frederick for a while. Or, maybe they'll promote him on Monday. Whatever they do, it's fine with me.

I voted yes. Right now in Frederick he's a man playing amongst boys. It's kind of funny how much more advanced he is than every other player in the Carolina league.

I think Jake Arrieta would have something to say about that statement. So would Wieters.

I didn't vote, because I support whatever the Orioles choose to do here. Obviously he can hit above this level, but they may have other reasons to leave him in Frederick for a while. Or, maybe they'll promote him on Monday. Whatever they do, it's fine with me.

I have said before that I would wait until June 1 to consider moving him (and all of our prospects for that matter), so I voted "no," but for the most part I agree with you. If the O's want to move him now, I don't really have a problem with it.

My philosophy is much more conservative with young players than many but I think Weiters is a special case. He's clearly advanced and he also plays a position that tends to flame out sooner than any other. Due to all of that, I want him to get to AA soon so he can be the opening day starter in the majors next year.

You know what I'm starting to think - and I kinda like the idea - is that they are trying to get Weiters familiar with all the pitchers in the system.

Think about it - if Weiters spends 1/3 of a season with the Keys, Baysox, and Tides, he'll at least have a little familiarity with 15+ starters that we hope to be a part of our future. This list includes Arrieta, Bascom, Erbe, Spoone, Berkan, Tillman, Hernandez, Liz, and Penn. By the time they are all ready to join the big club, they will all have some familiarity with their battery mate. I really really like the idea of that. Hopefully it will be a way to ease them all into the majors and a way to maximize the production and value of our young arms.

That makes a lot of sense. I hope you're right.

I think Jake Arrieta would have something to say about that statement. So would Wieters.

Well, luckily they play on the same team. I think Arrieta is also much too advanced for the league. However, let's remember Wieters has an OPS over 1.000 in a league where the average OPS is .692. He's leading the league in OPS by 89 points. To me, he's clearly at a point where he's not being challenged anymore.

Archived