If we miss the playoffs this year, trade Manny and sign Schoop

FanSince88

I don't get the "If we miss the playoffs" part. The strategy should depend on a handful of September games? Toronto and Boston could tank and the Orioles could play 500 ball and win the division. Medium and long-term strategy shouldn't depend on something so fleeting and possibly random.

I only put that caveat in there because it's a much tougher sell to ownership and fans if we were to make the playoffs.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get the "If we miss the playoffs" part. The strategy should depend on a handful of September games? Toronto and Boston could tank and the Orioles could play 500 ball and win the division. Medium and long-term strategy shouldn't depend on something so fleeting and possibly random.

You are trying to digitize the effect of a playoff appearance to a franchise. No to say you can't. But you did go through the necessary process to do so. Did you? It's not a game of Battleship where the strategies could be correctly calculated over an infinite series of encounters. My opinion.

You are trying to digitize the effect of a playoff appearance to a franchise. No to say you can't. But you did go through the necessary process to do so. Did you? It's not a game of Battleship where the strategies could be correctly calculated over an infinite series of encounters.

I swear I didn't attempt to digitize anything!! Not a single thing. No zeros or ones were used. :)

There isn't a team that has enough talent to trade that wouldn't leave them crippled at the MLB level and fielding a team with Manny and a team of mostly filler. Well maybe a team like the Yankees, Jays or Redsox could pull it off but that would have us playing against him for two years. Competent major league teams don't trade a top five player in any sport unless it's in the final months of a contract.

All for locking up Schoop though!

I think you have to look at what the Marlins did with Stanton as an example here. They signed him to a massive deal, hoping that he was the centerpiece, not the surrounding pieces.

Now they have had Prado, Ozuna, and Yelich, but neither of those guys was thought to be great either. Bour has been hurt, Gordon mediocre, and Suzuki old. Their pitching outside of Fernandez has been mediocre, but they're right there for a wildcard.

You lock up the young talent, you trade the aging or not worth the cost. Britton/O'Day/Tillman/Kim/QO Trumbo will net you quality pieces. Hardy, Gallardo, Miley, Ubaldo all come off after 2018. You can do a mini-rebuild there if you want when you'll have Manny and Schoop in their prime, Davis still with another two years of solid production, and Sisco and others entering. Hopefully Gaussman and Bundy have established, and are in their primes of mid-late 20s.

Back on topic, what would an extension for Schoop look like? I don't think he's a guy you make a 10-year commitment to. Maybe something like this:

Arb 1: $3.5 mm

Arb 2: $6.0 mm

Arb 3: $9.0 mm

FA 1: $12.5 mm

FA 2: $15.0 mm

FA 3: $15.0 mm

FA 4: Team option at $17 mm, $2 mm buyout

So, that's 6/$63 mm, possibly becoming 7/$78 mm.

How does that seem? Looking around the league, it might be a little too generous if Schoop flattens out from here, but it could be cheap if Schoop takes it up another notch.

I think it's a bit too generous. Jones signed for 6/85 and was much closer to free agency. I think something more like 6/35-40 is more appropriate.... but I'm not sure what the rest of the league is doing. I don't think players of Schoop's caliber get extended very often. He's a good player but not a franchise player.

I think you have to look at what the Marlins did with Stanton as an example here. They signed him to a massive deal, hoping that he was the centerpiece, not the surrounding pieces.

Now they have had Prado, Ozuna, and Yelich, but neither of those guys was thought to be great either. Bour has been hurt, Gordon mediocre, and Suzuki old. Their pitching outside of Fernandez has been mediocre, but they're right there for a wildcard.

You lock up the young talent, you trade the aging or not worth the cost. Britton/O'Day/Tillman/Kim/QO Trumbo will net you quality pieces. Hardy, Gallardo, Miley, Ubaldo all come off after 2018. You can do a mini-rebuild there if you want when you'll have Manny and Schoop in their prime, Davis still with another two years of solid production, and Sisco and others entering. Hopefully Gaussman and Bundy have established, and are in their primes of mid-late 20s.

I missed something. Is Davis having solid production?

basically the same numbers as Chris Carter who is on a 1 year 2.5 million dollar deal

If the Yankees were able to get such a big return for each of their relievers and an old Beltran, I don't see any reason why we can't get a big treasure chest for Manny, too.

I think the consensus is that there honestly might not be a treasure chest large enough to warrant trading Manny Machado. Or, at the least, a team willing that's willing to pony up the chest required. The guy is a Top 5 position player in all of baseball. Those aren't easy to come by.

Here's a radical thought. If we miss the playoffs this year, take the money from Wieters, Trumbo, et.al leaving, use it to reload as best as possible and try again in 2017.

Wash, rinse, repeat over the years

Crazy, I know, but damn it's liberating to entertain the thought that trying to compete at a game where they keep score is a genuine option.

Here's a radical thought. If we miss the playoffs this year, take the money from Wieters, Trumbo, et.al leaving, use it to reload as best as possible and try again in 2017.

Wash, rinse, repeat over the years

Crazy, I know, but damn it's liberating to entertain the thought that trying to compete at a game where they keep score is a genuine option.

How much of that money is going to be going to pay the increased cost of Tillman, Britton and Machado?

Is the Stanton deal a good one?

Manny is the type of player you spend big on. I would love to have Schoop too, but Manny is the priority IMO.

What other guys have been "the type player" you spend big on?

What other mega contracts have resulted in their team winning multiple championships or even multiple playoff apperances?

How many outside of LA, Boston, or New York?

Did A-rod bring Texas success?

How has Pujols worked out for the Angels?

Fielder for the Tigers, Votto for the Reds, Cano for the Mariners?

has Kershaw got the Dodgers past the Giants?

Has Grienke propelled the Diamondbacks into the playoffs?

Did giving Stanton 13 yrs and 325 million dollars keep Stanton healthy?

Could the Twins finished in last place without giving Mauer 183 million?

How far out in the AL East would the O's be without Chris Davis who is 13th among ML 1B in OPS?

Nope sorry big contracts are almost always big mistakes

Archived