More O's Nuggets from Boswell

schittenden

The Nats have won more games than the Orioles in each of 2012, 2013, 2015 and so far in 2016, and had the same number of wins in 2014. They have won 13 more games than the Orioles in total 2012-16 to date. Of course, winning games in the AL East is much harder than winning them in the NL East. And yes, the O's have won the most games in the AL in that period.

Thanks a bunch for this and for clearing that up for me.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a reoccurring thing with a lot of writers that have either covered the O's (Ken Rosenthal) or have at least had close proximity (Thomas Boswell).

Back to the OP, agree w/ a lot of what Boswell said. And it's certainly a nice write-up. I wouldn't give Duquette an A/A- unless we're strictly talking wins and losses. Buck is definitely an A+ to me, though. He's about as perfect as you can get as far as managers go. I'm just happy we never ended up with guys like Girardi or, perhaps worse, Valentine.

39dfbad22e7fdfdc0a654ad09171f989.jpg

Thank you for saying that. I've been a big fan of Bos since long before the internet, and his writing on the O's meant a lot to me.

I grew up reading him and looked forward to his articles in the post. Always liked hm.

Somewhere in a box I still have his "Bums of Summer" Washington Post magazine article from before the 89 season and his mid season mea culpa. Great writing.

Kryptonite glove is kind of catchy too.

I grew up reading him and looked forward to his articles in the post. Always liked hm.

Somewhere in a box I still have his "Bums of Summer" Washington Post magazine article from before the 89 season and his mid season mea culpa. Great writing.

Kryptonite glove is kind of catchy too.

Here's the mea culpa. I haven't yet found the Bums of Summer article...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/magazine/1989/07/09/theres-joy-in-birdland/e1816d10-2287-4463-a031-d5bb18d992bc/

Boswell is a great writer. I used to love reading him in the Post when he was covering the Orioles, it was required reading at the time.

Old school guy, I see him when I'm in the press box at Redskins games and in the locker room and in the postgame press conference room. Lots of reporters have tape recorders or hold their smartphone up to get a player on tape, Bos just has a little notepad that you'd see a diner waitress have and scribbles notes on it. I looked over his shoulder once to see what he was writing, it's indecipherable.

Oddly put together, he walks really funny and he looks nothing like that old photo that accompanies his stories. He wears his glasses low on his nose and peers over the top of them when asking a question or looking at someone who's talking, almost in a way that says "I don't believe a word you're saying right now." I'm not sure whether that's his intent or not.

Everyone in the press box is pretty approachable, he's the one that isn't. For the past three years I've wanted to just say hello, tell him how much I like his writing and shake his hand but he's kind of intimidating.

If you'd like a sampling of Boswell's writing about the Orioles, check out this profile of Jim Palmer, originally written for Playboy magazine in 1983: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/27/will-the-real-jim-palmer-please-stand-up.html

Ah,Frobby....a link to a Playboy article with no pics? For shame.

Archived