For an O's fan, this might be the most interesting playoff race ever

Frobby

I must say, I am fascinated by all the different permutations of the playoff race if you are an Orioles fan. They are 2 games out of first place in the division, 1 game out of first wild card position, and in 2nd wild card position, but there are also three teams within two games of the O's in the loss column. Plus, 16 of the Orioles' 23 remaining games are against teams who are in that mix.

The O's have been in some interesting two-way races over the years, and the 2012 race where they had a shot at a division title and also were battling a couple of teams for a wild card spot was pretty interesting, but I think this one tops them.

FWIW, in 2012, after 139 games we were tied with the Yankees for the AL East lead, two teams (including Tampa) were 2 games behind us in the WC standings, and another team was 3 games behind. That was also a very good race.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must say, I am fascinated by all the different permutations of the playoff race if you are an Orioles fan. They are 2 games out of first place in the division, 1 game out of first wild card position, and in 2nd wild card position, but there are also three teams within two games of the O's in the loss column. Plus, 16 of the Orioles' 23 remaining games are against teams who are in that mix.

The O's have been in some interesting two-way races over the years, and the 2012 race where they had a shot at a division title and also were battling a couple of teams for a wild card spot was pretty interesting, but I think this one tops them.

FWIW, in 2012, after 139 games we were tied with the Yankees for the AL East lead, two teams (including Tampa) were 2 games behind us in the WC standings, and another team was 3 games behind. That was also a very good race.

This is all I ever ask for from a team. Sure beats the 14 year crap.

Good post. Another thing that makes this so interesting is that there are four teams from the same division within 2.5 games of a playoff spot. While the Yankees are still a bit of a division long-shot, it's certainly possible that any of the top 4 teams could finish anywhere from fourth to first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post. Another thing that makes this so interesting is that there are four teams from the same division within 2.5 games of a playoff spot. While the Yankees are still a bit of a division long-shot, it's certainly possible that any of the top 4 teams could finish anywhere from fourth to first place.

It is feasible that the 4th place team in the AL East will finish 10 games over .500.

It's definitely exciting. Frustrating, stressful...but exciting.

Crazy that we all pretty much were talking about putting a dagger in the heart of the Yankees on Sunday...and here we are on an off day actually looking in the review thinking to ourselves, "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

We're all Rays fans for the weekend.

The crappy part about this is that with like half the AL on our asses we basically have to win everrrrrry game. Seems like every time we gain ground on one team another one is right there benefitting somehow.

And this series with Detroit feels super crucial to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived