Would you sign in blood for a 3-3 finish?

Frobby

Six games to go, all on the road, against Toronto and NY. The Jays have all the motivation in the world, trying to lock up the 1st wild card and keep their remote chances for a division title alive. The Yankees will likely be mathematically eliminated from a playoff spot by the time we play them.

So here's my question -- if you could guarantee a 3-3 finish, no better and no worse, would you take that deal? 3-3 does not foreclose some other team from catching or passing us, but it makes it very tough. To tie us, here is what the other teams would need to do:

DET 5-2

SEA 6-1

HOU 6-0

My answer is, sign me up for the 3-3 deal!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Six games to go, all on the road, against Toronto and NY. The Jays have all the motivation in the world, trying to lock up the 1st wild card and keep their remote chances for a division title alive. The Yankees will likely be mathematically eliminated from a playoff spot by the time we play them.

So here's my question -- if you could guarantee a 3-3 finish, no better and no worse, would you take that deal? 3-3 does not foreclose some other team from catching or passing us, but it makes it very tough. To tie us, here is what the other teams would need to do:

DET 5-2

SEA 6-1

HOU 6-0

Yes, but someone else's blood. I would only give mine for a 4-2 finish. If the offense can't wake up (I mean two one run wins over DBacks not very impressive), then we will be one and done.

No, I posted in an earlier thread before the AZ series that I think we need to finish 7-2 and I still believe that. We need to be 4-2 in these last 6. Detroit finish with 3 against Atlanta and are very likely to do to them what we just did to AZ.

Houston and Seattle play head to head - then face an out of the race team to finish (LA and Oak). If one of them sweeps their head to head - the chance for them to put up a monster last week is there. I'm very concerned 3-3 doesn't get it done - or results in a 1 game playoff to get the last Wild Card (which would be better than nothing - but still not ideal) I want at least 4-2 and clinch this thing on our own.

No, I posted in an earlier thread before the AZ series that I think we need to finish 7-2 and I still believe that. We need to be 4-2 in these last 6. Detroit finish with 3 against Atlanta and are very likely to do to them what we just did to AZ.

Houston and Seattle play head to head - then face an out of the race team to finish (LA and Oak). If one of them sweeps their head to head - the chance for them to put up a monster last week is there. I'm very concerned 3-3 doesn't get it done - or results in a 1 game playoff to get the last Wild Card (which would be better than nothing - but still not ideal) I want at least 4-2 and clinch this thing on our own.

The Braves have played some decent baseball lately -- they won 7 in a row against the Nats, Mets and Marlins before losing on Saturday. They'll be playing at home in the final three games at Turner Field. I don't think they'll roll over for the Tigers. I guess we will find out!

DET 5-2

SEA 6-1

HOU 6-0

Nope. If the Orioles can't beat the Blue Jays during a series how could they beat them during a one game playoff in Toronto? I would like to see at least 5-1.

Frobby said:

Would you sign in blood for a 3-3 finish?

o

I would not.

Then again, I would not sign in blood for a 5-1 finish either, though I would be thrilled if the Orioles did go 5-1 over these final 6 games. It's just not my style to sign in blood for a single loss in a small sample size of games, regardless of the chances that the Orioles had/have in winning all of those games.

If I had to guess, I would say that a 3-3 or 4-2 finish would probably garner the Orioles the 2nd Wildcard spot, while a 5-1 finish would probably ensure that that Wildcard playoff game would be played at Oriole Park. 6-0 would mathematically ensure that it would.

o

Ask me after the jays and tigers games tonight. If Detroit losses I would definitely sign up for 3-3.

Yep. I think 3-3 more likely than not gets us in anyway but a Yankee win tonight would increase the odds even more. Seattle or Houston could basically win out but I see no reason to view that as anything more than a long shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll take it. I think at a minimum that gets us a play-n game against Detroit and a fair chance at locking up the second WC.

Considering we have three games in Toronto, how do we there historically, and how we played against Boston last week I will be satisfied taking a game there.

3-3 is about what I expect to do. We should be able to win 2 out of 3 against the Yankees who are really struggling to hit the ball.

Archived