Machado IS our Jeter... Our HanRam... Our... "New Cal Ripken"... Right?

Bradysburns

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed.

Plus Jeter, Gwynn and Ripken were perfect role models. Manny is a punk.

Wasn't even aware people felt this way about Manny. He can be hotheaded, but most of the time he seems pretty goofy and fun-loving. I can't judge too harshly on this though, as I always had trouble warming up to Brian Roberts for similar reasons.

Agreed.

Plus Jeter, Gwynn and Ripken were perfect role models. Manny is a punk.

That's awesome. The day after the O's clinch a postseason birth someone on the team's top fan site says "Derek Jeter was a perfect role model, Manny is a punk." You might as well disparage Thomas Jefferson on the 4th of July by comparing him unfavorably to Napoleon.

Wasn't even aware people felt this way about Manny. He can be hotheaded, but most of the time he seems pretty goofy and fun-loving.

It just shows that no matter the topic someone is going to have a contrarian viewpoint. I think if the OH existed in 1988 there would have been a sizeable minority who detested Eddie Murray and wanted Cal gone.

That's awesome. The day after the O's clinch a postseason birth someone on the team's top fan site says "Derek Jeter was a perfect role model, Manny is a punk." You might as well disparage Thomas Jefferson on the 4th of July by comparing him unfavorably to Napoleon.

That was the unfortunate day of his death and the day of our Owner's birth.

Certainly has the talent to be THAT guy. He has yet to display anywhere near the heart of a guy like Jones, or the maturity of a guy like Ripken. High bars, both, and few would be expected to meet those standards at Manny's young age. If anything he's shown a (limited) propensity for selfishness, impulsiveness, and immaturity. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him turn it around, extend in Baltimore, and go on to become an all-time great player; but he could also go full A-Rod.

TL;DR: Jury's still out.

It just shows that no matter the topic someone is going to have a contrarian viewpoint. I think if the OH existed in 1988 there would have been a sizeable minority who detested Eddie Murray and wanted Cal gone.

We got team haters, player haters and stat haters here!

haters-gonna-hate-dr-who.gif

Adam Jones is our Jeter/Pedroia. He is the unofficial captain of the team.

HanRam? Idunno, maybe Trumbo. Ramirez isn't close to being Boston's alpha player.

Ripken -- yeah I can see Machado being a parallel. Way too early though. The Orioles would first need to extend his contract.

Interesting take. You're right that Adam is our Jeter/Pedroia in the sense that Adam is the veteran leader of the team.

But thinking about the super-elite talents - generational talents - I don't know if Adam would make a list with talents such as Jeter, Cal, etc. Those guys transcended their teams. Their greatness was admired universally. Not sure Adam's there, or going there, but Machado appears to be.

I think he's our Eddie Murray. Great, great player on a HOF track who just goes out and helps the team win, but almost inexplicably has ended up with a small minority of fans who can't stand him and want him gone. Presumably because he hasn't signed a super team-friendly extension and hasn't completed the Cal Ripken school of never, ever doing anything the slightest bit offensive.

I think that's a good statement.

Archived