Machado IS our Jeter... Our HanRam... Our... "New Cal Ripken"... Right?

Bradysburns

Machado is one of the top players in the game. Who wouldn't want him signed long term to their club? The odds of finding one person who can replace what he's capable of are incredibly long.

That being said, there's one knock about Manny that I can't get out of my mind, and I know I'm being unfair in saying this. A few years ago, Manny got hurt and was given the option of taking time off and healing and getting back in time for the playoffs or having season ending surgery. He chose the surgery and wrote off the rest of the season. To me, if you have that option, you try to recover and rehab knowing if it doesn't work surgery is still an option and you'd still be ready for the next season. There didn't seem to be a need to end the season at that point, but there didn't seem to be any hesitation or frustration about making that decision. That makes me question his commitment somewhat. And, like I said, I know that's not a fair thing to say because I don't know all the variables. All I know is what I saw and the impression it made.

If he had waited to have the surgery he wouldn't have been ready for the next season. He wasn't quite ready as it was.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my least favorite things about going to Orioles games at Yankee Stadium -- and there are lots of contenders -- is hearing fans yell at Manny, especially before the game or when he comes near the stands, about how great he will look in pinstripes. I haven't figured out a response, snappy or otherwise. I just try not to think about it.

That's a fair point. I don't actually think HanRam quite deserves to be on that list of all-time greats. But had he stayed with Boston his whole career, would we think differently about him? Probably, because he has had a stellar career.

No. Not Hanley.

One of my least favorite things about going to Orioles games at Yankee Stadium -- and there are lots of contenders -- is hearing fans yell at Manny, especially before the game or when he comes near the stands, about how great he will look in pinstripes. I haven't figured out a response, snappy or otherwise. I just try not to think about it.

I don't think he would look very good wearing toilet paper with skidmarks!

IMO there was one main difference between Ripken and Machado. Ripken seemed to know his limitations better than Machado. Ripken knew he was fairly slow but he was a good baserunner because of that fact. I think Machado is one of the guys that thinks he's faster than he really is and it gets him into trouble sometimes.

IMO there was one main difference between Ripken and Machado. Ripken seemed to know his limitations better than Machado. Ripken knew he was fairly slow but he was a good baserunner because of that fact. I think Machado is one of the guys that thinks he's faster than he really is and it gets him into trouble sometimes.

Manny makes a few mistakes on the bases, yeah, but I don't think that means he doesn't know what kind of player he is. He's also young enough that it's not hard to correct a few base running gaffes.

He gave up on trying to steal this year.

Number of losing seasons with Manny: zero. He's a huge reason why we win. But it takes a team effort.

It does take a team effort - but that is definitely worth noting. I'll never forget when we brought him up... You could almost call this the Manny era, because he made an immediate impact with his glove in particular, and has been the best all-around player the past couple years (at least IMO - maybe Adam edges him in a couple categories).

You can see Manny's physical arrogance - it translates into amazing ease in the field, and over-aggression on the base paths. With time, he'll improve there as well. Again, the guy's only 24. It's just ridiculous.

Manny makes a few mistakes on the bases, yeah, but I don't think that means he doesn't know what kind of player he is. He's also young enough that it's not hard to correct a few base running gaffes.

He gave up on trying to steal this year.

I don't think Manny had any significant history of baserunning mistakes before this year. I'm not going to label him a bad baserunner based on one season where he made several notable mistakes.

Manny is a phenom, no doubt about it. As a fan though, it takes more than raw talent to make me like a player. My personal experience with Manny has led to me not being a huge fan of his.

My wife and I went to the Domincan on vacation a few years ago and just happened to be at the same resort that David Ortiz had reserved for his golf outing, while it was going on. The property tried to send us to their sister resort, which we obviously refused - how awesome that we would get to be there around all of these athletes and celebrities! Adam and Manny were the only players there that we saw from the Orioles. While there, I saw Manny hanging out with ARod quite a bit - that sorta bugged me. Side note: ARod had a security guard with him at all times. I thought that was pretty funny - no one else there seemed to have one. My wife and I joked about shoving him into the pool during the evening cocktail events. I think that Manny idolizes ARod - I didn't see any other players hanging out with him as much as Manny was.

My point is that I fully expect to see Manny in pinstripes. I'm not getting attached to him as a fan.

Manny is a huge Arod fan cause they are both Miami guys. The reason Manny played SS and was ok with the switch to third was because of Arod (and a pending big league promotion). I like that he's a fan and he gets star struck and giddy like we commoners do. Now, Manny's agent has confirmed that they have sent out a contract extension to O's management. Whether they act on it is all up to DD and PA.

Manny is a huge Arod fan cause they are both Miami guys. The reason Manny played SS and was ok with the switch to third was because of Arod (and a pending big league promotion). I like that he's a fan and he gets star struck and giddy like we commoners do. Now, Manny's agent has confirmed that they have sent out a contract extension to O's management. Whether they act on it is all up to DD and PA.

And Arod was a fan and played SS because he was a huge fan of Cal's, so it's coming full circle.

Archived