Has the clubhouse celebration shtick gotten a little too scripted?

Frobby

And in today's episode of Looking For Things To Complain about, dugout celebrations, threat or menace?

Matt Wieters on his experience, FWIW:

?I didn?t know going out of last year what the future was going to hold for me this year. I can?t imagine anything better than this right here except for doing it after a World Series with these guys,? Wieters said.

?It was a hard-fought regular season. We had to play down to 162 and it all came down to one game. So we?ll celebrate tonight and then rest up for the next one.

?This is the greatest feeling you can have as a baseball player, celebrating as a team in a clubhouse. Nothing greater than this.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/10/quotes-and-reactions-following-5-2-win-and-wild-card-berth.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im not joyless or against celebrating...but a champagne celebration in becoming the SECOND wild card team seems a great deal pretentious and presumptive. Win something substantial..then celebrate with champagne.This team is a long way away from celebrating something substantial. It kind of reminds me of the "act like youve been there before" quote. You celebrate with champagne when you really earn it.

Only second wildcard team because there are two. If there was one we'd be playing in a play in game.

But why not let them have their fun.

In response to the above thread, the Orioles will never leave Baltimore. If MLB does anything in the next 5 years, it should move Tampa to Montreal.

Yeah Baltimore is a good baseball town, despite some attendance issues. What were Os like 4th in MLB for tv ratings?

Rays to Montreal is a no brainer IMO

Im not joyless or against celebrating...but a champagne celebration in becoming the SECOND wild card team seems a great deal pretentious and presumptive. Win something substantial..then celebrate with champagne.This team is a long way away from celebrating something substantial. It kind of reminds me of the "act like youve been there before" quote. You celebrate with champagne when you really earn it.

Agreed.

I have the old school hockey mentality that you don't celebrate until you raise the Cup. NHL players won't even touch the Conference championship trophy, let alone celebrate.

To me celebrating wildcard victories cheapen the celebration of winning the actual World Series.

Agreed.

I have the old school hockey mentality that you don't celebrate until you raise the Cup. NHL players won't even touch the Conference championship trophy, let alone celebrate.

To me celebrating wildcard victories cheapen the experience of winning the actual World Series.

The clubhouse celebrations for each round seem like a remnant of the days when playoff participation was really limited so it was a huge deal to even make it to the post-season. That's much more recent for MLB than other leagues. I imagine it'll eventually go away.

It's actually a little terrifying watch them celebrate- a bunch of people spray liquid everywhere while standing on a sheet of plastic- basically a giant slip n' slide. The last thing I want to imagine is a key player slipping, falling and ending his season right as the team is heading to the post-season. I know-- I sound like a total mom saying that.

We are listed first by virtue of Toronto being Toronto.

Well that and the fact that the letter B as in Baltimore comes before T.

If we were in fact second wild card as opposed to tied for first, the alphabet would no longer matter.

My feelings on the subject are teams look stupid when they celebrate a one game wild card appearance with champagne only to lose the wild card game and get eliminated right away. Every year there are two teams jumping up and down with champagne that go home two days later. It makes no sense to me.

My feelings on the subject are teams look stupid when they celebrate a one game wild card appearance with champagne only to lose the wild card game and get eliminated right away. Every year there are two teams jumping up and down with champagne that go home two days later. It makes no sense to me.

I guess you also hate teams that dance and cut the nets down when they make the 68 team NCAA tourney?

It's 162 games. ST starts in February. They've been at this for 8 months. Let them "stone cold" a few bottles of champagne.

If we were in fact second wild card as opposed to tied for first, the alphabet would no longer matter.

Does it really matter? One way or the other, we have to go to Toronto and beat those clowns if we want to move on.

Archived