Has the clubhouse celebration shtick gotten a little too scripted?

Frobby

I guess you also hate teams that dance and cut the nets down when they make the 68 team NCAA tourney?

It's 162 games. ST starts in February. They've been at this for 8 months. Let them "stone cold" a few bottles of champagne.

I think everyone is completely missing my point. I have no objection to the players celebrating. I'm just saying the method of celebration has gotten redundant and stale. I'd like to see a little variety in the method of celebration. Have them dive into a tub of jello or something.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think everyone is completely missing my point. I have no objection to the players celebrating. I'm just saying the method of celebration has gotten redundant and stale. I'd like to see a little variety in the method of celebration. Have them dive into a tub of jello or something.

Then O's fans should talk to the O's players before games and make suggestions.

I guess you also hate teams that dance and cut the nets down when they make the 68 team NCAA tourney?

It's 162 games. ST starts in February. They've been at this for 8 months. Let them "stone cold" a few bottles of champagne.

NCAA tourney - and NFL for that matter - are different as their playoffs are designed to be single elimination. I guess I just don't see the point in celebrating a play-in game which is how I view the wild card game. The real playoffs start with the division series, imho.

I always liked how Randall K Myers viewed post season celebrations. I remember him in 1996/97 standing on the sidelines as the rest of the Orioles did the celebration thing. Myers' view was there was more work to be done and he would celebrate at the end. I guess he only got to truly celebrate once in his career with Reds in 1990. He just missed the magical 1986 Mets run.

I have no issues with the celebrations, but I do agree that it's kinda hackneyed and played out.

My suggestion would be to simply not televise it. Why do we need to see it? Let the players have their moment. Maybe have a camera in there that they can edit some footage together and use for later, but a live shot isn't really necessary. Save that for the World Series.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Trumbo on Sunday celebration: "Was the first time in my career I got to experience it. It was every bit as much fun as I was hoping for."</p>? Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">October 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I watched the post game. I could never see Trumbo.

Im not joyless or against celebrating...but a champagne celebration in becoming the SECOND wild card team seems a great deal pretentious and presumptive. Win something substantial..then celebrate with champagne.This team is a long way away from celebrating something substantial. It kind of reminds me of the "act like youve been there before" quote. You celebrate with champagne when you really earn it.

I think they earned it. The teams that aren't there would love to be in their shoes. I say let them enjoy it. Wether it's scripted or not I really don't care.

Should be some unwritten law that wild card teams dont get champagne.

Yeah I agree. Win the pennant or clinch the division and it's fine. Nab a wild card birth and it's a bit overkill. That said, it doesn't really grind my gears if the players truly do want to do it. If so, go for it, despite the fact that goggles and plastic sheeting make it look so sterile.

Archived