MLB should ban alcohol at the Rogers Center for the rest of the postseason

FanSince88

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The team and the fans are loathsome. As I stated in the game thread, my family and I have gone to many O's games in Toronto and we have been taunted, sworn at, had food thrown at us, and just generally been treated miserably. My sister and I were actually considering trying to go to the game tonight but didn't want to endure that. Given how the game ended I'm glad we didn't go, it would have been a nightmare.

The problem of alcohol and sporting events is not limited to the Rogers Centre or the Blue Jays fanbase.

Ever gone to Yankee Stadium as a visiting fan?

Human beings and alcohol is a dangerous mix, and I say this as someone who enjoys to drink.

I realize it was only one bad apple tonight who threw the beer can at Kim.

But I have never seen that sort of fan behavior at any baseball game at any level, let alone in the postseason.

Honestly, I think a fair response by the MLB here would be to insist that the Rogers Center cease all alcohol sales for the remainder of the 2016 postseason. Sure, the "Rogers Corporation" will lose some money. But for the sake of the integrity of the game, this crap cannot happen again. And maybe the idiot fans up there will get the message that this kind of thing is completely unacceptable. I don't care what they do at their NHL or third-tier league hockey games. This is Major League Baseball, and it demands a much higher level of respect than the barbarism we witnessed tonight.

They threw a beer at Nate McLouth in 2012.

The problem of alcohol and sporting events is not limited to the Rogers Centre or the Blue Jays fanbase.

Ever gone to Yankee Stadium as a visiting fan?

Human beings and alcohol is a dangerous mix, and I say this as someone who enjoys to drink.

It isn't bad mix at all. I was in Bavaria and they have alcohol at every place you can imagine and it is one of the safest places in the world. They banned alcohol in this country for a while and it lead to the highest homicide rate in the counties history. Alcohol doesn't make you a bad person. It makes bad people's true character come out.

This thread reads like sour grapes about an isolated incident. It was a water bottle. Do we even know alcohol was involved? They should do everything they can to identify the fan, make his name public and ban him from all sporting events in Toronto. Banning alcohol for everyone else is like taking a blow torch when you could use a fly swatter.

A water bottle thrown from that high up, in addition to interfering with a crucial play in a playoff game, could seriously hurt a guy. Players should be able to concentrate on the game without having to fear for their physical safety. The fan absolutely needs to be identified, banned, and charged with a criminal offense. I agree that banning beer or at least cutting them off early would be a good response.

This is not an isolated event though. Almost a year ago, folks at the Rogers Center threw stuff onto the field during Game 5 of the ALCS. I guarantee you that MLB and the Blue Jays are not looking at this as an isolated event this morning.

Their fans are like the Canadain Version of Phillies fans. These fans are the reason I don't root for the Bengals when they get in the playoffs. These fans are Bengals fans if they won in the playoffs, a small group of assholes who are annoying and make you want to nuke the hell out of their city.

It was a can (at least half full) of beer. And the whole "don't ruin it for the rest of us" is great - except this isn't the first time their "fans" have been absolute morons.

And it'll happen again vs. Texas. Book it.

We'll see how the league deals with it. I was outraged. It ruined the good vibes and excitement of the game on the field for me (walkoff bomb notwithstanding).

I realize it was only one bad apple tonight who threw the beer can at Kim.

But I have never seen that sort of fan behavior at any baseball game at any level, let alone in the postseason.

Honestly, I think a fair response by the MLB here would be to insist that the Rogers Center cease all alcohol sales for the remainder of the 2016 postseason. Sure, the "Rogers Corporation" will lose some money. But for the sake of the integrity of the game, this crap cannot happen again. And maybe the idiot fans up there will get the message that this kind of thing is completely unacceptable. I don't care what they do at their NHL or third-tier league hockey games. This is Major League Baseball, and it demands a much higher level of respect than the barbarism we witnessed tonight.

I think forcing fans to use a plastic cup should suffice.

Their fans are like the Canadain Version of Phillies fans. These fans are the reason I don't root for the Bengals when they get in the playoffs. These fans are Bengals fans if they won in the playoffs, a small group of assholes who are annoying and make you want to nuke the hell out of their city.

This is so accurate. All I can say is sorry. Wish I was born in North Chicago.

I wish I was born when the O's won a WS. Sometimes we don't get the things we want

I just really want you guys to know that actual good Jays fans (there are some) are unbelievably embarrassed by this. A lot of our bandwagon fans were not even born the last time the Jays were in the playoffs, and know nothing about the game, nor do they respect it. I wanted to be able to freely gloat about the win, but the beer can incident is such a black mark on the game.

So I think I can speak for all reasonable Jays fans when I say that we are deeply sorry this happened and truly embarrassed by our "fans".

Archived